Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Carbon seal leakage at WOT

Is it normal to have a tiny bit of water spray off at WOT? I gopro'd inside my hull pointing at the carbon seal, there is a drop or two that comes off the PTO bearing rubber shield thing, however there is no spray at all going on the gopro lens which was right in line with the carbon seal. In saying all this, there was a little water in my hull that fly back and splash around every time I got on it. Idling around there is no leak at all. I'm just paranoid as shit as when the driveshaft went it made the shaft so wobbly the carbon seal leaked and it would've sunk if it wasn't for the bailers.

Rode up and down at WOT most of the time and had the same amount of water in the hull that I started with, just want to make sure its not going to shit itself.

On a separate note, holy shit do those bellows swell up at WOT! Like a balloon.

+1

3. +1 by:

Great idea to GoPro in hull, I bet we'd probably be shocked n terrified if we saw much of what goes on when we ride, especially WOT.

Thanks for posting, interested to hear thoughts on normal or not normal, from the GH pros.

+1
    What year ski? Seems more then a drip. Especially when you let off water pours in or its just the water sliding forward from decelleration. I would try and get that thing tighter/ more tension on it.

+1
    sweet video! You have the OEM mount in the front?

Never knew it swelled up like that!

It leaks more than it should IMO. My Px was bone dry after several rides, and at the time I had no balers and no bilge pumps.
    But the prior owner took a lot of time to align everything up perfectly.

Im not saying it will fail any time soon but...........

You have any other in hull videos?

+1
    Nice video. When I had my 08 PX I put tight orings in the bellow grooves. After many high speed runs the orings would be displaced usually to the rear. My bellow I am sure looked like a ballon especially when it stuffed.

+1
    Make sure your impeller is not coming unscrewed when you hit the throttle. It will push against the crank and ruin your thrust washers and crank cases. I have seen water like that one time before and the prop was unscrewing itself when the throttle is opened.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Make sure your impeller is not coming unscrewed when you hit the throttle. It will push against the crank and ruin your thrust washers and crank cases. I have seen water like that one time before and the prop was unscrewing itself when the throttle is opened.
    Thats true but I think this is just the tunnel water pressure pushing the bellows and the motor forward.

On a side note have you guys seen the plastic intakes swell up under boost? Thats amazing also!

+1
    Sorry should have been more clear, the water you see was already in the hull, I filled it with water to check for leaks. Tilted it up to try get it all out but a bit was left in there, it looks like a lot because of how it slops around but it's only a couple of cups worth.

Has all three mounts replaced with rhaas hard mounts.

Has 3/8 inch movement in driveshaft fore/aft, bellows was very tight to get c clip on. Bellows, carbon ring, hat and c clip are all brand new genuine.

Impeller is torqued to spec, the movement you see once up to speed seems to just be forward pressure placed on everything by the bellows.

The part I'm curious about is the drips you see coming off the PTO rubber guard bit. Will try dry the hull out properly and get another vid if I get a chance today.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbird View Post

You have any other in hull videos?
    Anything you want to see in particular? I think I have a couple of spare mounts left. Would have been interesting/embarrassing to have it in there with my old broken mounts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information