aS suspension travel?

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has an aS suspension ski, about just how much deck vertical travel you have.

It doesn't seam to matter how much pre-load I set or how much damper I dial in, the travel never feels more than an inch (25mm) maximum. Measured by watching / feeling movement of moving footwell against the side of the bottom hull.

Doesn't matter if I'm in big chop or not.

Wondered if this amount of travel is normal or if I have a suspension problem.

Remember, I'm talking about tha aS(manual suspension adjust), not the IS.

Thanks

+1
    Dumb question.... was tbe suspension lock cable removed from the deck when you bought the unit? You should have about 5 inches of travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Dumb question.... was tbe suspension lock cable removed from the deck when you bought the unit? You should have about 5 inches of travel.
    Not sure, where is it and what does it look like?

I have tried every combination of damper & pre-load whilst on the trailer, and jumped up and down in the footwell, again about an inch max if lucky.

I have had the back of the ski up to get to engine and used the 30cm recommended height, was very strained, despite lowering handlebar setting and removing damper cylinder to lay on glovebox floor.

One other thing, it's very tight to turn the spring preloader and the "clicks" are very faint and you cannot even feel most of them through the wrench.

I did spray some lub randomly in the adjust hole area, hoping I'd hit something, but no difference.

When I increase or decrease loading on spring, the extention on the wrench moves 3 or 4 inches up and diwn, so the adjustment is working.

Yesterday, sitting down I hit a mini wake wave (under a foot high) in the water (fairly high speed) and I actually flew up off the seat a couple of inches, like you might on a reg hull. There was no smoothing at all, a sudden jarring.

+1
    It is under the seat where the upper deck bolts to the suspension. They come from the factory in a locked position with a security cable and plate. The cable runs through the suspension and holds it down. There should be 6 13mm bolts holding the upper deck to the suspension. Look if there is a plate with a steel braided cable running through it. If that is still there remove the 2 bolts holding the plate in place, pull he cable carefully and throw it and the plate away. Reuse the bolts to bolt everything back together. I will try to find a picture of it to show you.

It is under the seat where the upper deck bolts to the suspension. They come from the factory in a locked position with a security cable and plate. The cable runs through the suspension and holds it down. There should be 6 13mm bolts holding the upper deck to the suspension. Look if there is a plate with a steel braided cable running through it. If that is still there remove the 2 bolts holding the plate in place, pull he cable carefully and throw it and the plate away. Reuse the bolts to bolt everything back together. I will try to find a picture of it to show you.
    Thanks Tiny, just been and checked and unfortunately it has been removed - damn. All that's there are the bolt heads and rubber bungs.

Very strange. When I see Seadoo suspension on youtube, the nose is moving up and down like crazy. I stood up yesterday, and looked over the front and watched two points of reference, and as I say, about an inch max.

It's so unimpressive, that if this is the max effect, I would trade it in a blink for a non aS ski that I can work on in the time it takes to remove the seat!!

anything else you can think of?

is there a combo of settings (damper & spring) that should give the most extreme amount of bounce, so I can see how the "best it can offer" feels?

Come on guys, I need your expertise on this. What could have failed to make the suspension travel almost rigid?

Could the damper have seized or failed and restrict the coil spring so much?

If the spring has broken would this stop all the travel?

Tiny, you must have seen hundreds of these.

+1
    Sorry man, we just do not see any suspension issues.

I wonder if your dealer turned it on when they prepped the ski?

Sorry man, we just do not see any suspension issues.

I wonder if your dealer turned it on when they prepped the ski?
    It's the aS NOT iS so there is no buds needed. I did wonder last night if maybe the back deck attachment point is correctly adjusted. I've ALWAYS used tape to perfectly mark the position of the anchor plate before removing bolts n lifting deck. Maybe it's was never correctly position from day one?

Will follow service manual tonight and try to perform deck alignment process.

Worth a shot.

If not, nothing left other than drag the whole top deck off n get in there to take a look. Deep joy!!

Will update for forum knowledge bank.

Thread Information