My first jet ski, 97 Wave Raider. Been sitting a year. What should I check/change??

Im new to jet skis but not to maintenance and repairs in general. Just got this ski for free from my father in law and its been sitting a year or longer. He had it since 2002 and says its a great ski, never had to do anything to it other than maintenance. Says it started up every time. I want to know what I should check, replace, grease, anything I need to do before taking it out to the lake. Its a 700cc. Just got a new battery for it. Also, why does it say Wave runner and Wave Raider?? Which is it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamaha wave raider 004.JPG 
Views:	981 
Size:	354.2 KB 
ID:	327147

+1
    All yamaha's are called "wave runners". Yours is a "wave raider" model. They are a great ski. The 701 is a very reliable motor.

There will be a grease fitting, for the drive line through hull bearing. This is usually on the intake manifold, or at the back of the motor on the head. It will have a hose going from the fitting, to the bearing housing to carry grease to the bearings. I would also lube/grease all cables, steering bushings, pump steer nozzle bushings, etc.

If it has not been done, it may be a good idea to go though the carb(s). Rebuild completely, replace the needle, and seat, etc. Be sure to use only genuine Mikuni brand parts, and kits.

Also replace the fuel filter.

Check the pump wear ring, and impeller for any damage / wear.

Maybe a new set of spark plugs, and fresh tank of NON-ethanol fuel.

You should then be good to go.

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    All yamaha's are called "wave runners". Yours is a "wave raider" model. They are a great ski. The 701 is a very reliable motor.

There will be a grease fitting, for the drive line through hull bearing. This is usually on the intake manifold, or at the back of the motor on the head. It will have a hose going from the fitting, to the bearing housing to carry grease to the bearings. I would also lube/grease all cables, steering bushings, pump steer nozzle bushings, etc.

If it has not been done, it may be a good idea to go though the carb(s). Rebuild completely, replace the needle, and seat, etc. Be sure to use only genuine Mikuni brand parts, and kits.

Also replace the fuel filter.

Check the pump wear ring, and impeller for any damage / wear.

Maybe a new set of spark plugs, and fresh tank of NON-ethanol fuel.

You should then be good to go.

Enjoy
    Thanks. Where do I get non ethanol fuel? It has a half tank of gas that's probably a year old or more. Its a 2 stroke so the oil is old as well. I see that you don't mix the oil and gas like a weedeater. There seems to be 2 separate containers, one for gas and one for oil. I have already put grease in the fitting you spoke of.

Ill look for the fuel filter.

I haven't driven it yet, but he said something about the impeller, and that you cant really floor it. You have to ease into the throttle gradually or something shakes??? Something like that. Ill have to see when take it out unless that rings a bell.

Thread Information