Fuel Pump Differences

I have an '08 RXT-X. All the info here I could find on replacing fuel pumps gave a generic replace with a Walbro 255. When I pulled the pump I noticed it is not a Walbro 255 type unit. It is what is called a compact pump. I own an Automotive shop so tried to put in a Walbro 255. Fit like crap. I could force it to work, but why? I installed a DW65 (Deatschwerks) Compact Pump which is identical to the Seadoo factory unit. The one thread I found on this topic showed both pumps and questioned if the Walbro was the right one. I have attached the photo here. You can see the Walbro pump is on top and the bottom pump is what a User removed from his ski. Bottom pump is slightly different. From what I can gather the '08 models and up use the newer design. Sorry if this is generally known knowledge but could not seem to find it anywhere here or in the "How-to" section.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	327154  

+1
    Yeah you have to cut the top part of the pump assy housing to get the pump to fit right. That info is here somehwere on the forum.

+1
    viperbob,

Read this pdf from Riva which will tell you how to install the larger FP.

http://www.rivaracing.com/instructio...0_340fp_08.pdf

Here is a plug for Jerry http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=2092

OK thanks. Tried searching on numerous terms to find something, but no biggy. Yes the modification to the housing is what I saw needed to be done when I dropped in a Walbro, So then why would you not want to install the correct size pump as a step one and not dremel your housing (extra step)? I install these all the time in cars and would never waste the time. Just curious. Thanks.

+1
    Whats the specs and price on the pump you are using?

+1
    You CAN install another stock FP if desired! But most of us on this forum have modified to highly modified skis requiring much better performance and much higher fuel flow rates. Do a search for Aeromotive and Walbro comparisons. There are good charts showing flow rates and amperage draw.
    Last edited by jpt7779; 04-20-2014 at 02:21 PM.

+1
    I can get real Walbro's for less than 80-90 bucks all day. Looks like your pump draws more amps at same psi's. Base psi is 58. Was that pump availiable 5-6 years ago? Lots of people here know the Walbro works. It would be great to find, if there is a better and easier pump install.

Add: I use a GSS342 high-pressure. That what I am comparing pumps too.

I have all these new pumps sitting around the shop. I also take out Walbros that fail on a regular basis (they also contribute to our revenue with the motors they blow up). So would not use a Walbro myself (i see about 1 in every 15 units DOA out of the box). The DW65 has been way more reliable and I get with big discounts. Also installing the R&D Fuel Pump Relay so not overly concerned with amperage at this time. Only doing some initial mods on intercooler, ET 68-140, spring/retainers, et al. Basic stuff. Will get serious later.

+1
    I guess I am just lucky. Been using the same Walbro pump since 08 with no relay either. Used in my 08 PX and then transfered it over to my conversion. 2RUDE and 3RUDE with a reflashed ECU at 9.5K.

Thread Information