Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

97 GP 1200 Dying out at High Speed

Hey Guys, I need help. I encountered a problem today. I have a 97 GP-1200 Non-PV. The engine is good and all 3 cyls are at 120 and also is equipped with an oil block off so it is premix. Brand new fresh gas with Dominator oil. The ski starts fine and idles fine too. The ski also runs strong at take off and will cruise all day at 30 to 40 MPH. The problem I have is when I run it at WOT, It dies off to nothing but does not stall. After a moment or two it will recover and run fine again at take off and at medium speeds. What could be the problem. Thanks ....

+1
    I had one doing the same thing, and found it was hitting the rev limiter

Its not the rev limiter thats cutting off the engine,that ski should be hitting 55-57mph...i rebuilt my brothers engine on his 97 gp1200 and converted to premix,problem was the reeds were no good.....also thoes carbs have a low rpm adjustment screw and a high rpm adjustment screw,adjust the high side...too many variables as well....creases in the check valves and debri in the needle and seat/filter......if its running fine but at high speeds its cutting off ,its more than likely a fuel delivery problem..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielDucati View Post
    Its not the rev limiter thats cutting off the engine,that ski should be hitting 55-57mph..[/COLOR]
    How do you know he is not riding the limiter without verifying rpms? Would definitely check for fuel restrictions/supply issues(selector, carb filters, fuel pump, pulse lines)
    Also try to make only one post....it's hard to reply to multiple posts on same ski issue

+1
    Ok thanks. my plan is to check and clean the fuel selector and replace all the fuel lines including the pulse lines, replace fuel filter, make sure tank vents /check valves are working right. My hope is not to have to pull the carbs unless all else fails. I'll post back with progress..thanks...

+1
    small fuel filters in side each carb stopped up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I know? His engine is cutting off around 40mph and I know for a fact its not reaching 6600/7000 rpm at that speed....
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx2 View Post
    Its not the rev limiter thats cutting off the engine,that ski should be hitting 55-57mph..[/COLOR]
    How do you know he is not riding the limiter without verifying rpms? Would definitely check for fuel restrictions/supply issues(selector, carb filters, fuel pump, pulse lines)
    Also try to make only one post....it's hard to reply to multiple posts on same ski issue

+1
    He said he can go 40 all day, he did not state his max speed attained nor should he be trying to ...only at wot it is having the issue, so far he hasn't stated max mph or max rpm.

+1
    sorry guys I should have provided more info. it will launch good from dead stop and run all day at about half throttle but when I go from 1/2 to wide open it will hit about 60 mph real fast (like it should )for about 2 seconds and then die out while the throttle is still being held open. I let off the throttle and it will idle. Then I can do it all over again. it just seems to run out of fuel at WOT. whatever the problem is it seems to be ok at low and mid speeds. hope the additional info helps settle things. thanks again..

+1
    So at 60mph you think it's possible he may be banging the limiter?...if you have never experienced it, it feels like you hit the brakes when you do, and will stumble, until you get out of the gas then it returns to normal. Not saying it's the problem but I wouldn't rule it out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information