Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

97 GP 1200 Dying out at High Speed

Hey Guys, I need help. I encountered a problem today. I have a 97 GP-1200 Non-PV. The engine is good and all 3 cyls are at 120 and also is equipped with an oil block off so it is premix. Brand new fresh gas with Dominator oil. The ski starts fine and idles fine too. The ski also runs strong at take off and will cruise all day at 30 to 40 MPH. The problem I have is when I run it at WOT, It dies off to nothing but does not stall. After a moment or two it will recover and run fine again at take off and at medium speeds. What could be the problem. Thanks ....

+1
    Check fuel selector, May be restricting it.try to straight line it from tank to carbs, see if problem persists
    Sounds like fuel delivery problem

+1
    Check all 3 pulse lines to carbs.

+1
    thanks for the help xxx2 and mybad. I kinda expected a lot more input from all the motor heads on here. any additional help out there???

I'm having the exact same problem. Idles fine, can ride at half throttle all day. Pulls strong to wot and will run for 30 seconds then fall off like I hit the kill switch. It doesn't shut completely off, will drop back down and idle fine. It's clearly a fuel starvation issue. I just rebuilt all carbs. Did you ever find a solution?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Tide View Post
    thanks for the help xxx2 and mybad. I kinda expected a lot more input from all the motor heads on here. any additional help out there???
    Not alot more to say about it. Simple engine no hidden grimlings in there. Is either fuel or an air leak. When were the carbs serviced? If it was coming to a complete stall then I would say it is seizing, yes you can seize and still have god compression. Maybe once maybe a houndred times at some point compression will reflect id condition is not resolved.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad2kmr View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem. Idles fine, can ride at half throttle all day. Pulls strong to wot and will run for 30 seconds then fall off like I hit the kill switch. It doesn't shut completely off, will drop back down and idle fine. It's clearly a fuel starvation issue. I just rebuilt all carbs. Did you ever find a solution?
    Did you use genuine malkin kits? If not redue it now with genuine parts. I had engine failure at aboit 20 hours after rebuild and found cressed diaphragms in 2 carbs.

Was the issue present before carb rebuild?

No the issue was not present before the carbs were rebuilt. I haven't run it in 2 years but it ran perfect before the carb rebuild. I'm going to pull the rack and look at the diaphragms. Can you explain to me what a crease will do? If you're referring to the round check valve, they are good, but I did notice when I pulled them for the fourth time after not running right, the front large clear gasket, which I'm assuming you mean by diaphram, was creasing and it had fuel behind it where the pulse line comes through. I know there's only a few things it could be, and more than likely it's carb related, I'm just going through the process of elimination simply because it's sat for a couple years and lines or seals could have dried up or cracked.

+1
    When mine were creased less than 20 hours after rebuild I was running lean. Would bog down after a few seconds at wot. I thought it was just air in the lines as it was normally just after sitting for awhile. It was doing this since rebuild as far as I can remember. Then one day it seized. Teardown showed lean conditions in all 3 holes.

You did not mention if you used genuine malkin kits? They are only $35-40 per carb.

+1
    After sitting for a few years, I would change the filter, make sure the fuel selector is not gunked up. Did you try running it in the res position?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information