Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    SCHNORR12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    834
    +1
    92

    Thoughts on 2-up trailer for a pair of sparks and a toyota corolla?

    ... people generally tend to prefer Triton trailers.

    With that said, Yacht Club trailers aren't bad by any means.
    Last edited by K447; 04-19-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Post moved


  2. #2

    Thoughts on 2-up trailer for a pair of sparks and a toyota corolla?

    I was thinking, based on my reading on the forum here, and elsewhere, that I probably wanted a triton trailer. My dealer doesn't carry them, but offers a Yacht Club that he reccomends. I have found little on these. Anyone out there have any thoughts about the Yacht Club?

    All the reviews I can find on the web comparing them seem to indicate the triton is better. Rides smoother, better for salt water, but they are 4 years old. I'm happy to buy from a different dealer, but I need to figure something out pretty quick, I think my sparks will be in soon.

    Thanks for any help...

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,587
    +1
    1,272
    What are four years old?

    I have yet to encounter an unhappy a Triton trailer customer.

    Does your Toyota Corolla have a tow rating? Do you have a hitch on it already?

  4. #4
    I do have a hitch, and it has a tow rating of 1500 pounds. I believe the triton elite II and 2 sparks comes well under the 1500 pounds.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What are four years old?
    The posts comparing the Tritons with the Yacht Clubs. No recent posts about the Yacht clubs that I have found. The Triton seems to be the best regarded, and the features described are things I value. Now I guess I just gotta find me a triton dealer who can get me one. This is proving trickier than expected.

    If anyone has a great recommendation for a NH based Triton dealer who can get one for me, I'm all ears.

  6. #6
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,587
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNH View Post
    I do have a hitch, and it has a tow rating of 1500 pounds. I believe the triton elite II and 2 sparks comes well under the 1500 pounds.
    Do think about tongue weight.

    A couple hundred pounds of trailer tongue weight (rule of thumb guideline is 1/7th or 10% of the total loaded trailer weight) on the tow ball might push the Corolla rear down more that you like, especially if you have the car also loaded up with people and stuff.

    I added Air Lift Company AirLift 1000 air bags to the rear springs of my last car. Helped the car ride immensely, even when driving around without the trailer I preferred the ride with the air bags inflated.

    And they kept my car very close to level even with nearly 2000 pounds of loaded Triton Eilte double trailer hooked up.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNH View Post
    I do have a hitch, and it has a tow rating of 1500 pounds. I believe the triton elite II and 2 sparks comes well under the 1500 pounds.
    Do think about tongue weight.

    A couple hundred pounds of trailer tongue weight (rule of thumb guideline is 1/7th or 10% of the total loaded trailer weight) on the tow ball might push the Corolla rear down more that you like, especially if you have the car also loaded up with people and stuff.

    I added Air Lift Company AirLift 1000 air bags to the rear springs of my last car. Helped the car ride immensely, even when driving around without the trailer I preferred the ride with the air bags inflated.

    And they kept my car very close to level even with nearly 2000 pounds of loaded Triton Eilte double trailer hooked up.

    Great tip. Thanks!

  8. #8
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,587
    +1
    1,272
    Car tires. When hauling the loaded trailer up a steep or rough launch ramp after reloading, the ramp will often be wet.

    The front car tires may struggle for traction on the sloped and slippery surface.

    Before you use the ramp to launch, first walk around and evaluate whether there will be any potential difficulty later getting the loaded trailer back out.

    Some brands and models of tire have better grip in the wet, these are sometimes marketed as 'rain' tires or such. If you find your current tires are not up to the job with steep wet ramps, better tires might make the difference.

    Also learn about driving techniques that can help work the car up the ramp slope when one or both tires are wanting to just spin and slide.

  9. #9
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    16,708
    +1
    1,324
    My advice would be to get a different tow vehicle if you are going to pull a double trailer. The triton Elite is 365 pounds and the Sparks are 420ish each empty. Add 16 gallons of fuel roughly and you are getting near the capacity. A small car like a Corolla will not be happy at all, unless you are going very short distances. Front wheel drive with the rear of the car heavily loaded down on a wet steep ramp may be no picnic either. I drive a half ton pickup and I know the double trailer is there when driving.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    My advice would be to get a different tow vehicle if you are going to pull a double trailer. The triton Elite is 365 pounds and the Sparks are 420ish each empty. Add 16 gallons of fuel roughly and you are getting near the capacity. A small car like a Corolla will not be happy at all, unless you are going very short distances. Front wheel drive with the rear of the car heavily loaded down on a wet steep ramp may be no picnic either. I drive a half ton pickup and I know the double trailer is there when driving.
    I may get a different tow vehicle, but my dealer makes deliveries with a similar small car. Plus, my launch points are all within 20 miles of my house, and on 40 MPH roads. I'll see how it goes, and reevaluate as the summer wears on.

    I have a utility trailer I have loaded up with about 1000 pounds, and pulled it on the highway with no problems. The 2 big issues: turn OD off, and leave plenty of extra room for braking. It seems to pull just fine. Is is after all, the Corolla S.
    Last edited by K447; 04-20-2014 at 08:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS GPRXP and GPRHO on a double trailer for sale 8500 for all 3
    By Lvnspeed in forum Conversion Skis Classifieds
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 02:22 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 09:53 PM
  3. Thoughts on this SL 750 for $500
    By 92PolarisMike in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 09:18 PM
  4. FS 2006 RXP and 2005 RXT on 2 place trailer for sale
    By MVR 155 in forum Sea Doo 4Tec Skis
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 04:09 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •