+1

Prop stud broke, wreaked havoc

Good morning guys, I have an issue that arose this weekend on the first ride. The stud that the prop threads on to sheared off this weekend and took out the pump, pump shoe, prop and my PRV setup that I installed last week even. The stud looks like it was cracking last year looking at it, then decided to let go on Saturday.

My question is, is this something that has been seen before? My ski is an 09 PX with some mods, but nothing crazy, and it has 111 hours on it, which isn't real high either.

Also, obviously I will need to get all the parts used, or this ski just wont be worth fixing, what year skis can I get parts off of (I assume 04-09 RXP and RXPX) but wanted to be sure before getting parts. Also, how can I test the shaft to ensure that this wont happen again?

This really put a damper on my spring as I am at the point of going and looking at a spark or something cheap as it seems like I am just constantly fixing this PX and the parts arn't getting any cheaper. Thanks for reading and for any input,

Jeff

+1
    I would check for metal in the oil. In a worst case the prop may have moved forward and took out your thrust washers on the crank.

Yes, a broken impeller shaft is something I have seen before. Not very common but can happen.

+1
    This happened to me. I don't want to ruin your day or anything but if you didn't immediately shut off your engine you very likely took out your thrust bearing in your engine. Since the prop had nothing holding it back it drove your driveshaft into your motor. Check your oil and look for metal. Shaft alignment and or shaft play can cause this

+1
    This is something I was afraid of. I have a feeling though you are right about the thrust washer though. It may be time to park this and start looking for something new to ride this year, such a shame.

+1
    Yep happened to me to once, The prop came loose and took out the thrust bearing and block and crank and .... Wanna Sell it?

+1
    I am not going to sell it, if anything it will be rebuilt over the winter. Too many parts to sell it outright anyways. It will be built and turn into a real project/toy. I guesss it is time to find a stock rec rider now.

It just sucks it happened within the first 4 miles of the year on the first day. All that time messing with it over the winter and it is taken out by something unforseen.

Thread Information