Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    rosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    71
    +1
    2

    high idle with ribbon delete on VXR

    2012 VXR has a high idle. I bypassed the exhaust resonator and put in an R&D ribbon delete. Now it is idleing really high. I can live with this but would like to get the idle back down to normal. What am I missing?
    Any suggestions?
    I have searched and cannot find a solution to my problem. Sorry if it has already been answered on another post.

    Cheers


  2. #2
    Rt-HemiBoY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    HiAleAH-MiAMi--FL
    Posts
    1,315
    +1
    24
    Probably a vacuum leak check the gasket if you put it in.

  3. #3
    rosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    71
    +1
    2
    THanks, I talked to the R&D guy. He said there should not be a change in idle with the ribbon delete. Maybe I pulled a hose loose or something but I am typically pretty careful about all of that. I will check it tonight. Thanks for the heads up.
    Sure makes it hard and scary to trailer when Idle is at 3mph. lol.

  4. #4
    The Rooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    S.E. Louisiana - Ponchatoula
    Posts
    911
    +1
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Rt-HemiBoY View Post
    Probably a vacuum leak check the gasket if you put it in.
    +1. Make sure the small square black gasket did not fall down in the bottom of the ski. If I'm not mistaken it goes between the throttle body & intake. Removing the ribbon does not usually cause ideling issues.

  5. #5
    rosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    71
    +1
    2
    According to the Service manual there is not a gasket at the throttle body. I do not recall seeing one either. The Joint (6) has a rubber coating on it that appeared to work as a gasket.

    I forgot to add that I did drill out more ports in the back of the air filter case to allow more air and re-routed the ventilation hoses so they vent directly under the air filter case. Maybe all this fresh air changed the idle. I will be definately be tinkering with it tonight but welcome any ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	throttle body assy.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	327312  

  6. #6
    The Rooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    S.E. Louisiana - Ponchatoula
    Posts
    911
    +1
    169
    Rosey, not sure why there would be a difference but on the microfishe drawing for my N/A HO 1.8 it shows the gasket I was referring to behind #1 -Throttle body & # 11 - spacer. That's the one that is fairly easy to lose track of. Good luck !!!

  7. #7
    bryantjopplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    2,436
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey View Post
    THanks, I talked to the R&D guy. He said there should not be a change in idle with the ribbon delete. Maybe I pulled a hose loose or something but I am typically pretty careful about all of that. I will check it tonight. Thanks for the heads up.
    Sure makes it hard and scary to trailer when Idle is at 3mph. lol.
    What is your rpms? My will be at 3 mph with no throttle applied. Does the throttle response seems worse then new? If not I doubt you have a vacuum leak.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    Rosey, not sure why there would be a difference but on the microfishe drawing for my N/A HO 1.8 it shows the gasket I was referring to behind #1 -Throttle body & # 11 - spacer. That's the one that is fairly easy to lose track of. Good luck !!!
    The number 6 is the gasket basically. At least on mine it was attached to another piece, unless you mean something else.

  8. #8
    rosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    71
    +1
    2
    Well now I am stumped! I removed throttle body cleaned all surfaces and put back together. It appears to be idling normally now. I am thinking some of the thread lock that had dripped on the rubber gasket surface may have caused a vacuum leak. Thanks for the help y'all.

    On the factory gauge it is at 1k RPM now and sounds normal. This past weekend i did not pay attention but from the sound tonight, I think it was closer to 1.5 to 2k RPM when out on the Bay.
    I will get it on the water this weekend and make sure.
    Cheers
    Clark

  9. #9
    bryantjopplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    2,436
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey View Post
    Well now I am stumped! I removed throttle body cleaned all surfaces and put back together. It appears to be idling normally now. I am thinking some of the thread lock that had dripped on the rubber gasket surface may have caused a vacuum leak. Thanks for the help y'all.

    On the factory gauge it is at 1k RPM now and sounds normal. This past weekend i did not pay attention but from the sound tonight, I think it was closer to 1.5 to 2k RPM when out on the Bay.
    I will get it on the water this weekend and make sure.
    Cheers
    Clark
    Stock idle on these are 1300 +/- 100 RPM's. Says so right on the motor

  10. #10
    AWA MEMBER
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Currituck, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    4,616
    +1
    247
    Probably had a manifold leak

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need Help! Installing Riva Ribbon delete on 2012 FX HO and it appears smaller!
    By Kawika75 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-26-2015, 08:45 PM
  2. Riva ribbon delete on backorder again?
    By riick370 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-01-2015, 03:07 PM
  3. Thru Hull and Ribbon delete Install VXR
    By CougarKiller in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 05:07 AM
  4. Tbm ribbon delete on vxr?
    By bryantjopplin in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-17-2013, 09:46 PM
  5. Please help with ribbon delete!!!!!!
    By mjealey in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-31-2013, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •