Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha FX Depth Finder

I purchased a leftover 2013 FX SHO last month thanks to in large part to comments I have read on this forum. I am very happy with the purchase so far. I found GH to be extremely valuable resource. However I would love to be able to install a basic depth finder/sounder. I have one on my boat and find it very useful. Most information that I have found online that related to Yamaha and depth finders appear to be fishing ski setups with fish finders. This is not what I am looking for. Has anybody set up a depth finder on an FX? I am just trying to avoid accidental hull scrapes/scratches or worse.

Girls just wanna have fun! awarrick's Avatar
    +1
    I've been looking for one too.. for a while. There was one a few folks suggested here but as far as I can tell, it's no longer made. Everything I've found is dash mount and I don't want to start boring holes into my dash. I already have a GPS so don't want anything more than the depth gauge. Why do manufacturers put water and air temp gauges on a ski? Pointless. If you find a depth gauge, let me know!

I have decided that this would not be feasible for me at the moment due to work involved to get accurate readings. Instead I have installed Navionics Mraine&Lakes app on my smaprtphone to use as a chart plotter. In addition, I have purchased an extended battery and DandyCase waterproof case. I was going to do this anyway for long cruises, I just ended up doing it quicker than expected because I don't believe anymore that depth finder is the way to go. Maybe next think I'll look into is a RAM mount for my cell phone.

+1
    I have the Garmin GPSMap 640 on my ski. I found out that it will read depth if I install a transducer.

I've heard that the transom mount transducers are likely to get in the way/get broken off. So that's out.

I ain't eeeeeeeeeeven cutting a hole in the hull, so the through hull is out.

That leaves "in hull" and besides hearing that they don't work well with the NanoXcel, I can't find one for less than $240!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by webmister View Post
    I have decided that this would not be feasible for me at the moment due to work involved to get accurate readings. Instead I have installed Navionics Mraine&Lakes app on my smaprtphone to use as a chart plotter. In addition, I have purchased an extended battery and DandyCase waterproof case. I was going to do this anyway for long cruises, I just ended up doing it quicker than expected because I don't believe anymore that depth finder is the way to go. Maybe next think I'll look into is a RAM mount for my cell phone.
    PS: That depth finder I listed in the thread above works great. I have had that on 4 FX SHO's. The install instructions are also listed. Pretty easy to do. I carry a GPS with blue charts and inland lake maps that show contoured depth. I also have the navionics package installed on my phone and would trust the GPS over the navionics software any day.

That being said do not trust the GPS alone to keep you out of trouble. I have found over the years those contoured readings can be inaccurate and should be used only as a suggestion, not fact.

Congrats on your new ski!

+1

I was going to use my iphone as my gps but I had trouble seeing the screen on bright days, I also didn't like the small screen. I also did not like holding my phone because I was concerned I would drop it and I was always in and out of the glove box to get to it. If you are going to use your phone I think you should just go ahead and get the mount for it.

I mounted a lowrance 5hdi in the glove box lid. This gave me a screen I could see when it's really sunny, a large screen I could see at a glance while I'm moving, a way to mark areas to stay away from like a weeded area or submerged log, etc. etc., a map of the area if I'm unfamiliar where I'm at, a shallow water warning (if your exploring somewhere new and going slow enough), the ability to see how deep it is below me and probably more I'm not thinking of at the moment.

I wasn't concerned about cutting into the glove box lid because of the low cost of replacing it if I ever decide to sell the ski.

it was however more money than your navionics app

good luck with whatever you end up using

Quote Originally Posted by nashvegas View Post
    PS: That depth finder I listed in the thread above works great. I have had that on 4 FX SHO's. The install instructions are also listed. Pretty easy to do. I carry a GPS with blue charts and inland lake maps that show contoured depth. I also have the navionics package installed on my phone and would trust the GPS over the navionics software any day.

That being said do not trust the GPS alone to keep you out of trouble. I have found over the years those contoured readings can be inaccurate and should be used only as a suggestion, not fact.

Congrats on your new ski!
    Is this an in hull transducer?

Transom or thru-hull is not something I want to do.

If it's in hull transducer, which hawkeye model is it?

+1
    No holes needed. Just epoxy to hull using a slow cure epoxy. Hawkeye D11s.
    Last edited by nashvegas; 05-14-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nashvegas View Post
    No holes needed. Just epoxy to hull using a slow cure epoxy. Hawkeye DS11.
    That's definitely what I want. However I am unable to find Hawkeye DS11 anywhere searching online. It's as if it was discontinued or something. Would you know where I can buy one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information