Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Seadoo OEM depth gauge - what speeds should it read at?

I've fitted the Seadoo OEM depth gauge to my 2013 Wake Pro, it all works fine at idle and at slow speed, but anything over ~5 mph and it doesn't read. Anyone have any experience of the Seadoo depth gauges on the S3 hull, should they read above 5 mph?

I know when I fitted the transducer (if that's what it's called), it came with a Dow Corning gel pad, one side had a cover you removed and the other like a gauze (which I didn't remove).

Just wanted to get an insight from you folks before I starting taking things to pieces again!

Thanks in advance.

Adrian

+1
    You need to remove the plastic cover that came on the gel pad and I would recommend using 2 pads, it helps fill in the air gaps between the transducer and hull.

Problem is that your on such a small craft that even if it did read at 50 mph, the transducer is in the back and you would be stuck on a sandbar by the time it read anyways...

3. +1 by:

+1
    I found that mine will read at over 60 mph on the lake I ride but on a dirty river it stops reading at 20-30 mph

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    You need to remove the plastic cover that came on the gel pad and I would recommend using 2 pads, it helps fill in the air gaps between the transducer and hull.

Problem is that your on such a small craft that even if it did read at 50 mph, the transducer is in the back and you would be stuck on a sandbar by the time it read anyways...
    I did remove the plastic cover that came with the gel pad but on the other side there a gauze like pad which didn't seem to peel off, so I left that on. Anyone else have any experience of fitting the Seadoo aftermarket depth gauge, did you remove this gauze pad?

+1
    Yep, you need to take the gauze bit off, it needs the gel pad to be squashed against the hull to read through. The depth finder on my GTR reads right up to max speed without any problems. I've not had it do anything different in mucky water either..

+1
    I pulled the depth sounder yesterday and had a good look at the pad. And yep, it looks like the gauze / small foam pad did need to come off (see below).

I had one major problem though, the battery cage bolts that Seadoo supplied with the depth sounder kit (which they said should replace the existing battery cage bolts) had seized into the nut fitting. When I first went to undo them, they were extremely tight, when they eventually turned they were still really tight and would not undo. In the end I had to use an impact gun with socket on the end to get them out (for info the battery cage bolts - on the GTX - go into a captive nylon lock nut in the base of the battery cage assembly). On closer inspection of the captive nut it looks like the new Seadoo bolts - with a yellow (Loctite?) paste on - had seized onto the nylon lock nut). I'm curious why you need any sort of Loctite on a nylon lock nut. Anyway, this nearly rendered my battery assembly useless. I fixed it by re-tapping the nylon lock nut with an 8mm tap, to clear out the Loctite and re-assembled and cleaning the bolts.

Still problems with the depth gauge though, it still only reads up to about 10 mph, then it blanks out. Interestingly though it works at speed whilst doing tight left turns! I'm assuming the gel pad is a once only use, or I've damaged it somehow, so next job is to buy a couple of replacement pads and re-fit (someone had suggested using two pads).

The Seadoo PN for the Dow Corning gel pad is: 293550042

Pic 1 - the bolts supplied in the Seadoo kit
    Pic 2 - the foam / gauze pad being removed
    Pic 3 - the foam / gauze pad as it was before being removed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolts.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	328261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gel pad 2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	328262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gel pad 1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	328263

+1
    I'd be a bit hesitant about putting 2 pads on here, the OEM install instructions really stress making sure there's no air gap/bubbles in the pad and contact with the hull/transducer. I'd use one. The GTR mounts the depth finder on the left side, assuming its the same side on your ski so when you turn, the small amount of water in the bottom of the ski makes the seal with the pad and the hull nice and tight, and presto you get a reading! The GTR has self tapper screws into the hull so don't get that thread lock stuff issue luckily, sounds like you had some fun - good thing you didn't break anything.
    Mine works a treat, and I installed it. I didn't have the plug in connection at the depth sounder end fully home so was reading intermittently, so simply pushed it in and she's working really well, no problems at all.

A new pad without any backing and I'm sure it will work fine. There's also a simple how to fix in the instructions at the end.

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    Finally had a chance to take mine out with the new depth finder. It indicates at all speeds.

+1
    Good to hear that some of you are not having any issues. Im waiting for mine to come in the mail this week for my GTR. I hope for a simple install and a good reading.

+1
    OK on a new ski the depth gauge has a silicon glue that its pressed into and no gel pad. Anyone ever seen this?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information