Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Spark plug diagnosis (photos)

My Ultra 150 has been losing power. I already had an issue with the pump and replaced it an it was running fine for about 8 hours. Then it start losing power again and was just bogged down.
    I notice one of the spark plugs is very metallic (3rd photo) and am wondering what this usually means? The first 2 photos are the other 2 spark plugs.

do a compression test on all 3, could be aluminium

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ss1289 View Post
    My Ultra 150 has been losing power. I already had an issue with the pump and replaced it an it was running fine for about 8 hours. Then it start losing power again and was just bogged down.
    I notice one of the spark plugs is very metallic (3rd photo) and am wondering what this usually means? The first 2 photos are the other 2 spark plugs.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...d.asp?mode=nml

+ Are all 4 plugs the same type/heat range?

+1
    Leaner than $shit! No wonder it's losing power. I'd bet your well on the way to a hole in the piston on the gray plug.

Boost whore
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Leaner than $shit! No wonder it's losing power. I'd bet your well on the way to a hole in the piston on the gray plug.
    Looks black and rich to me

I have always aimed for a coffee color

+1
    Are you all blind,,,,plugs are different colour. lean, Rich or Fucked to pass as normal

Boost whore
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ange5583 View Post
    Are you all blind,,,,plugs are different colour. lean, Rich or Fucked to pass as normal
    Well I do wear glasses but what you seem to have a problem with is reading comprehension

If you look in the quote which I had put up and thus was refering to, the originator of the quote was refering to a plug in particular

Thus the fact that all the plugs are a different color is a moot point as they werent even in the equation

Tl; dr

I was replying to someone saying the third plug looked lean, me believing that it in fact looked rich to me

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuras View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ange5583 View Post
    Well I do wear glasses but what you seem to have a problem with is reading comprehension

If you look in the quote which I had put up and thus was refering to, the originator of the quote was refering to a plug in particular

Thus the fact that all the plugs are a different color is a moot point as they werent even in the equation

Tl; dr

I was replying to someone saying the third plug looked lean, me believing that it in fact looked rich to me

All the plugs are painting a picture......... Good place to start would be Winterstick suggestion.

+1
    The insulators on the top two pictures are white--very lean. The bottom plug is gray--the color of aluminum--which is used to make pistons. Lean, white plugs turn gray when the piston starts to come apart. Black plugs, on the other hand, are well, black. They typically have fluffy looking carbon deposits.

+1
    How much run time is on these plugs? The top plugs pictures are lean & the bottom definately has aluminum on it. If you don't have a hole in that piston, you will most likely find the top of the piston on the exhaust port side has begun to erode. Something is causing the ski to run lean and/or hot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information