2000 STX1100DI driving me crazy

I have a customers ski at my shop now 3 ,months. Came in will no charge issue and over heat emm. Cleaned out stator cover had blockage, and had emm rebuilt with new voltage regulator portion replaced. Did cooling mod with pisser out the left side of ski after going threw emm. That worked great. Ran ski for 3 hours no issues. Day before customer came to get it, tested the start up it back fires and pops no start. Pulled flywheel and cleaned out flywheel area, even replace with another stator I had because of oiley sludge in lower cover and flywheel. Next day started first try. took to water test back fire again and again no start. no check engine light. Changed TPS no change. Tried again this morning, started right up. hooked to water no start again. WTF. Fuel pressure good, injectors all firing, all spark plugs have spark? Totally lost on this one. Any info would be helpful, Great customer very understanding.

Banned User
    +1
    If the stator cover area is full of oil I would suspect the front crank seal. Is the CPS dirty or damaged?

clean no impact but do not have one to swap and test with. hate to buy parts not knowing issue

+1
    rebuilt EMM?????/ by who? Try a known good one if you can......

That's my issue cannot find a good tester to try and DFI says everything checks out. so either DFI is not telling the whole truth or some gremlins in the ski. at my whit's ends with this ski

+1
    If the EMM was overheated, the transistors which drive the injectors are probably shot. Did DFI replace those, when they serviced the voltage regulator circuit? If not, that may be your problem. After you try and start it, place your hand on each injector. If one of the three is hot to the touch, the EMM is the problem.

will try that tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the input.

Injectors do not get hot. they tick away on rotation of motor but only lunges and back fires thru exhaust but does not fire. Pulled cover off again to look at flywheel and keyway and all is good. This ski is taking me back to the beginning days of wtf

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DJDrGroove View Post
    Injectors do not get hot. they tick away on rotation of motor but only lunges and back fires thru exhaust but does not fire. Pulled cover off again to look at flywheel and keyway and all is good. This ski is taking me back to the beginning days of wtf
    Some thoughts, based on Polaris Ficht (which is very similar).

EMM was repaired, then perhaps something else in the EMM has gone bad since.

Who did the EMM repair?

Check injector feed voltage from EMM with all injectors plugged in. Black meter probe to engine ground.

Connect inline spark testers to all three spark plugs. Crank engine and watch spark pattern. Sometimes a bad EMM will have crazy spark timing that jumps around or spark will come and go as the engine cranks.

If you have the computer diagnostics it might show weird numbers like 2000 degrees spark advance.

Or connect a timing light and look for uneven firing patterns.

Thread Information