2000 GP1200R w/ 1300R motor. . .value/items of concern/run like hell?

Hello GreenHulkers! New to the site and looking for a bit of advice from this well seasoned group. I'm handy with a wrench and own a fleet of standup skis but I'm not intimately familiar with the changes to the GPR lineup over the years. I previously owned a 2000 GP1200R and sold it to pick up a more family friendly 2006 Yamaha FXHO (it's been a VERY reliable ski with zero issues!) and I regretted parting with the GP1200R almost immediately. I've been on the hunt for a clean low hour 1200R/1300R for a little while and stumbled across this ski on craiglist ( http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4404551352.html ). It appears to be a well maintained (cosmetically) ski but I'm weary of the 1300R engine replacement as I can't verify hours on the engine. Is this engine swap a direct replacement, or very close to it? What areas of concern should I focus on? The seller doesn't seem intimately knowledgeable about the modifications to the ski so I doubt he did the work, I just don't want to overlook anything that would be obvious to you all. I understand (based on my reading here over the last few days) that WFO is in Houston, do they offer a pre sale inspection? If not, should I see compression around 130PSI when i check it? I believe the ski is priced too high but I don't want to offend the seller with a lowball offer. Anyone care to offer any insight for me before I make the trip to view and water test the ski. Any information is greatly appreciated.

+1
    yes, we can do an inspection

gimmie a call

713-725-8596
    Rich

I wonder what kind of exhaust that ski has - if it's just a D-Plate/Silencer removed or something more extreme like a triple pipe. Compression should be ~110x3. 130 would be high with the stock head/gasket, but since its a GP12R with a GP13R engine then ski's the limit with whatever was bolted on.

I asked about the exhaust and the seller wasn't sure of the brand. I'd assume it's just the D-Plate as I made the same mod to my old GP1200R when the original exhaust failed. The ski would be priced right (in my humble opinion) if it had triples on it, but I doubt that's the case. Seller states that the ski has been fouling plugs so I bet it's going to need to be tuned asap, but I doubt he even knows what carbs are on the ski either. I appreciate the input.

If they did a full 1300R conversion it would have EFI, not carbs. If it is a stock-ish 1300 with carbs who knows what else has been done to support that or how well it is tuned, lack of knowledge by whoever installed the engine could play into fouling plugs.

A 1300R motor with EFI and all supporting electronics is a straightforward swap into a 1200R hull.

Sellers lack of info has me concerned, and my questioning has him craw fishing. I think my best bet is to walk away to avoid buying someone else's headache.

+1
    Welcome to the forum

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetcycles View Post
    Hello GreenHulkers! New to the site and looking for a bit of advice from this well seasoned group. I'm handy with a wrench and own a fleet of standup skis but I'm not intimately familiar with the changes to the GPR lineup over the years. I previously owned a 2000 GP1200R and sold it to pick up a more family friendly 2006 Yamaha FXHO (it's been a VERY reliable ski with zero issues!) and I regretted parting with the GP1200R almost immediately. I've been on the hunt for a clean low hour 1200R/1300R for a little while and stumbled across this ski on craiglist
    I just posted this on CL Houston this morning. If you are a serious buyer, I'll take it over to Rich myself and pay for the PPI.

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4443978031.html

-Greg

Thread Information