Thread: Grenade

Grenade

I was having a new engine installed in my 2010 RXTX. It was being replaced because of two overheats blistering the paint and then the block started corroding. My dealer got a BRP remanned engine and while he was testing it it locked. A second engine is on the way. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Out of fifteen years of owning Sea Doo's Iv'e never had such trouble. And it ain't this dealer's fault, who's service is great. Has anyone had such troubles? This machine seems to be cursed.

+1
    That sucks man.....I have never had to deal with that but I feel ya. Maybe get the new engine in that beast and then sell it? Maybe you got the Friday afternoon ski?

Quote Originally Posted by surferd15 View Post
    That sucks man.....I have never had to deal with that but I feel ya. Maybe get the new engine in that beast and then sell it? Maybe you got the Friday afternoon ski?
    Can't afford a new one. The economy has hammered my family. And I shouldn't have to lose the depreciation because the thing just isn't right. It's had a new throttle, ride plate fittings and intercooler under warranty. I had to fight like hell to get the engine done. It's also had the complete driveline done.

+1
    BRP Reman engine locked up... HMMM...
    I thought that kind of thing only happened to motors from other engine shops... or to ppl that rebuild them in their kitchen or on the front porch...

Is it safe to assume this is a salt water only ski?

+1
    We have installed at least 100 BRP remans over the years and never had a problem like this. I have had one go boom, but BRP set the timing wrong and it came apart due to vibration in less than 1 hour.

Yup, it's a salt water ski. The engine was 20 minutes old and blew while the shop was testing it in fresh water. The shop is outstanding and as Tiny said they've done replacements and this is rare. I agreed with BRP that a BRP re-manned engine would be provided. It's just a bad unit. Shit happens but this is unsettling. I take long tours every weekend and want to be able to enjoy riding, not worrying about failure. Between my friend and I we have had 11 Sea Doo's. The other ten were bullet proof with only one minor electrical issue in 2000.

+1
    Well... I guess i kinda called the salt water thing... All the problems you are having are a result of salt. How to you rinse/flush after you ride? Sounds like the after ride procedures could have more to do with your problems than getting a bad ski... Driveline, throttle, ride plate fittings, intercooler, and engine corrosion all sound to me like salt damage...

Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    Well... I guess i kinda called the salt water thing... All the problems you are having are a result of salt. How to you rinse/flush after you ride? Sounds like the after ride procedures could have more to do with your problems than getting a bad ski... Driveline, throttle, ride plate fittings, intercooler, and engine corrosion all sound to me like salt damage...
    After every ride I flush it for a coupla minutes. I then dump a five gallon bucket of soapy water in the engine bay and rinse it for about twenty minutes. Before heading out I soak the engine and everything else in the bay with XPS and even shoot it in the raw water intake. In all, I spend at least a half hour washing after every ride. My bud's 2012 RXT has 130 hours with no probs. I've had a 2008 RXPX and that thing was bullet proof. If a term of using these machines is that salt water is a problem, then the Mfr. is screwing up. It is called a SEA Doo after all. And how many people don't ride their skis in salt? All the ads are in the salt. Trust me, when I sell my ski it looks brand new inside and out. I don't believe salt is the issue. Except maybe the I/C. And if that's so, Sea Doo owes all of us an I/C that can tolerate salt. I've thought that if the I/C is a problem it should have a sacrificial anode in it. Salt water use should be the reason for failure.

Thread Information