01 gp1200r rebuild

Hello everyone. My brother in law bought a 2001 gp1200r a few days ago. When he started for me I told him it did not sound right plus it did not idle. So I told him to do a compression test. And the last cylinder was very low. So we pulled the head off and this is what we found.

I told him he has to get a new piston and sleeve, all new rings,and I was not sure about the head. I also told him he should rebuild the carbs while he was there.
    Is there anything I'm missing? This will be my first jet ski engine rebuild, so any tips or tricks would be awsome. Thanks in advance.

+1
    Here's the engine rebuild instruction thread
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122547
    I had did a similar rebuild recently, I did one new pro-x piston, rings on all three, one new cylinder, base gaskets all three, removed chokes, added primer, replaced one set of reeds, all new oil lines (tygon), all new fuel lines (tygon).

With the carbs out, look at the reeds. If you can see daylight or damage, replace them. If the cylinder is clean you can reuse it. They can't be sleeved as they are nikasil plated. Also, clean off the powervalve guillotines and install wave-eater clips if they aren't there.
    Double check the powervalve servo is operating correctly, also check the oil pump cables are set at the right oil flow rate.
    Hard to tell from the head picture, but look like it could be reusable, but they are pretty cheap to pick up used.

Banned User
    +1
    Make sure you inspect the crank too. With that kind of cylinder damage there may be metal bits in the crank bearings.

4. +1 by:

The cylinder wall has some pretty deep scratches in it. So im guessing I need a new jug?
    And the head has some deep pits on it so I'll have to get a used one.
    If you look at the piston close it kinda looks like the valve hit it, ia that possible?

+1
    Valve could have hit, that is what the wave eater clips prevent. I'd check the valve closely. I'd just get a good condition used jug. For every gp1200r that is rebuilt, there are two others that part out. Watch the market place here.

Here is a better pic of the head. Is it really reusable?

What is the best/easiest way to inspect the shaft? I moved the arms back and forth and the bearings seem smooth.

+1
    Since you've already gone down this far, I would probably split the crankcase, pull the crank out, inspect, fix/replace, and then work your way back up through the whole engine, exhaust, driveshaft, coupler, pump, etc. Clean and inspect everything. I found it very helpful to get a shop manual, which you can download to your computer. If you plan on keeping the ski and want it reliable, buy the best replacement parts that you can afford. Take your time and don't cut corners. you will be impressed once you getting it running well, and have peace of mind. good luck michael

Quote Originally Posted by bummerzon View Post

What is the best/easiest way to inspect the shaft? I moved the arms back and forth and the bearings seem smooth.

+1
    Lawyerboy is right(first time I've ever said that)First thing I'd do is split the crankcase, send the crank to CrankWorks for Inspection and repair.START RIGHT.

Used to chase criminals in my previous life!

Thread Information