Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for some Ultra 150 advice before the season starts

Hey guys,

So I have a couple questions that I was wondering if I could get some advice on. I got an Ultra 150 last summer and rode it a good bit and really enjoyed it! I bought it used with a skiworx stage 2.5ish kit already on it. I love how nimble and quick it is. The one thing I don't like is that the hook up is not good at all at the moment. When I ride with 2 people I have to ease on the throttle to get it onto a plane. Is this normal or is there an issue I need to fix? Keep in mind I am also running in colorado at 5000-6000 feet above sea level. Also I have a leak right where the drive shaft enters the pump housing? If you where to follow the shaft out of the motor to until you hit a wall that it enter the leak is around the seal of that wall and the shaft. Any ideas? Finally I'm thinking of getting a shred master and sponsons to help rough water handling. Good idea? What about for an intake grate?

Thanks in advance,

The shred master and the sponsons are a great idea, really helps in the handling department, as far as the slow take off it sounds like cavitation, really check your wear ring clearance as that will cause what your describing, as well as the pump bearings, they are notoriously bad on these skis.... And if you have a leak at your through hull seal that is not good at all, and will lead to cavitation as well... Sounds like that is gonna have to be replaced, not a fun job but necessary if you want to keep your ski off the bottom of the lake .....

+1
    I've ridden solo at about 3600' & 90° with no problems. I've ridden with a 140 pound passenger at 2000' & 105°, no problem. At 6000', it will be slower, but I think you'd still be able to get on plane pretty easily.

The engine has to come out to replace the seal (it's called a bearing holder). A new one is about $120. Somebody makes an aftermarket one that doesn't require the silicone sealant. Don't tighten the 4 bolts until you get the engine re-installed in order to keep everything in alignment.

Don't pee in my Pool 150ofUltra's Avatar
    You might have a bad seal on your ride plate. Have you ever taken it off? A Shred-master=yes, spend the money. I don't have sponsons as i like the looseness of it. Are you running a stock modded grate? I had cavation issues at take off when I run mine. I run a Worx intake grate and it keeps me hooked to the water very well, but have no experience with any other. Alot of people run the R&D intake because of no loss of speed as I understand. check out this forum as you can find a lot of 150 info http://ultra150.yuku.com/ .

If your looking to ride with two people the ultra150 is not right for you. I hated riding with my girl friend on my ultra so much I pulled the trigger and got a stxr also. All around I feel the stxr is a better set up ski.

You need a drive shaft holder, you can get away with lifting the engine up and sliding the drive shaft out. Holders are common for failed. Be on the safe side and install a bilge set up if you dont have one already

Quote Originally Posted by Bnelson View Post
    The shred master and the sponsons are a great idea, really helps in the handling department, as far as the slow take off it sounds like cavitation, really check your wear ring clearance as that will cause what your describing, as well as the pump bearings, they are notoriously bad on these skis.... And if you have a leak at your through hull seal that is not good at all, and will lead to cavitation as well... Sounds like that is gonna have to be replaced, not a fun job but necessary if you want to keep your ski off the bottom of the lake .....
    This weekend when i get a chance I'm going to check the wear ring and pump bearings for wear. Any hope that they could cause the leak? haha I really don't want to have to pull the motor as i have never done that before. I will take pictures of where the leak is as well. If i do have to pull the motor any suggestions? tools? step by step instructions?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercowcc View Post
    This weekend when i get a chance I'm going to check the wear ring and pump bearings for wear. Any hope that they could cause the leak?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercowcc View Post
    This weekend when i get a chance I'm going to check the wear ring and pump bearings for wear. Any hope that they could cause the leak?
    No.

Shit so you guys think I'm gonna have to pull the motor? Any way to check if it is the through hull seal that is causing it with out pulling the motor?

+1
    I agree with previous poster that this is not a good ski for two-up riding. I love mine, but even with my 80lb kid on it, handling is waaaayyyyy down. Ultra 150 in stock form is a hand full for one rider if you ask me.

Just ride around without the seat on for a little bit, look back at the bearing carrier and if you see it leaking water you have your answer, I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but if it's leaking it needs replaced, and unfortunately that means pullin the motor... I suggest ordering yourself a shop manual, it's been very helpful to me on my Ultra....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information