Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some advice on a non-running STX-12F

I'm looking at a 2005 STX-12F, that has been sitting for at least 2 years that I know of. I had posted this in a different thread in the SeaDoo forum, when I was also looking at an RXT215, but now I'm just trying to get an idea of this may be worth, and what I should be looking out for if I decide to buy it and attempt to get it running again.

It belongs to someone I know, and I've even ridden it about 6 years ago. It's been sitting for two years at least, it has a full tank of old gas, and a dead battery. The hull is in pretty decent shape, a couple of dings and scratches on the bow, and the front compartment cover from docking. It's dirty, and has become a home for wayward mud daubers. The plexiglas over the gauge cluster has a spiderweb stress crack pattern in it, but I assume that it works. The inside of the engine compartment looks clean, and I believe it was properly winterized before it was left to sit. It's on a lift in a covered dock on LOZ in Missouri. The owner believes that there is around 70 hours on it. No trailer, and the cover is in pretty poor condition, no holes, but faded and stiff.

They are asking 3500, as is. It would be on me to get a battery to see if it even powers up, and to clean out the fuel system. This isn't my first choice of models, as I'd rather have an STX-15F, but I figure if I can get it cheap, I can fix it up and maybe flip it next year. My feeling is that I should be paying around 2500, and I might end up putting 200-300 in it replacing plugs, filters, oil, battery, draining the fuel tank, and other general clean up. I can borrow my brothers trailer to get it home, and back to the lake, so no expense there. What do you guys think, would you jump on it, or steer clear, and what would it be worth in its current condition. For reference, someone at LOZ just posted a 2006 STX-12F with 500 hours and a bad gauge cluster for 3250.00 OBO. I don't think there were any problems with it when it was parked, so the only issue would be that it's sat for so long.

Thanks for your help!
    -Mike

+1
    I'm by no means an expert, but from the prices I've seen in the US for a new (non current) 15F, I'd never pay that kind of money for a 9 year old 12F, with all kinds of questions marks and probably another $300-400 away from even getting up and running....but thats JMHO...

Thanks, I've been going over that in my head too, as there are still dealers around here that have 2013s with special pricing around 7999 on a trailer. (not OTD price)

I'm just really trying to find out if there are any special problems to look for regarding this year/model, and at what price would this be a decent deal. I'm a fairly half-assed decent mechanic, I've rebuilt numerous two and four-stroke motorcycles, and I do a lot of the work on my boat by myself.

--Mike

+1
    Steer clear of this one, if its a running ski its only worth a little over $3000, they had known issues & its not worth the trouble, keep looking for a 15F.

Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    Steer clear of this one, if its a running ski its only worth a little over $3000, they had known issues & its not worth the trouble, keep looking for a 15F.
    Thanks for the advice, can you describe what issues this year had, and were they restricted to only the 2005, or did it cover a range of years? I'm vaguely aware of jet pump bearing problems, and that they can also ruin the thrust bearing in the engine if not addressed, and problems with the gauge cluster getting wet and crapping out. Is there anything else?

There is also a 2005 STX-15F that I'm looking at too, in good condition and running, with about 75 hours, but they are asking 5500, which seems pretty high. Does the 15F have the same issues as the 12F, or not. I'm under the assumption that the only difference between a 12 and a 15 was the longer stroke and 35hp. (I'd assume injection maps and maybe cams too?)

Educate me please!
    --Mike

+1
    The issue the 12F had was the engines self destructed due to a faulty ECM module, it advanced the timing too far & if you didn't always use premium fuel they blew apart, I believe year 2005-2007 were affected. The 15F did not have this issue, $5500 is high for a 2005 15F, you can get a 2013 for $8000 at many dealerships, a 2005 should be around $4000 or so, shop around a bit.

Okay, so I'm talked out of the 12F, it wasn't my first choice anyways, but it doesn't sound like this would be a good deal at any price. I did check out a local dealer, and they had two 2013 STX-15f, one new at 7500 without a trailer, and one used with 13 hours for 7000 without trailer. I'm leaning toward the new, since it comes with a year warranty. I still wouldn't mind a used one if I could find something a little newer, or at least a good deal on an older one. It's been pretty slim around here, there aren't many for sale, and the ones that do show up are overpriced or junk. That's kind of what is pushing me to buy new.
    Thanks for the help,
    --Mike

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Nothing wrong with the 2005 model.
    Take all the old gas out of it. Put a good (not cheap, good) battery in it. Put a couple of gallons in it. Fire it up. If no water near by, run it on the hose. Make sure and start ski, start hose, stop hose, stop ski. DO NOT run hose w/o ski running.
    If it runs offer 2800. If no, walk away.
    Look at the ECU. If it has a 36, (it shouldn't, onlt 07's I think) as the last #'s let us know.
    Good luck.
    If you find a 15 for a good price get it. It is a faster/funner ski.
    Last edited by rlovebk; 04-28-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    Nothing wrong with the 2005 model.
    Take all the old gas out of it. Put a good (not cheap, good) battery in it. Put a couple of gallons in it. Fire it up. If no water near by, run it on the hose. Make sure and start ski, start hose, stop hose, stop ski. DO NOT run hose w/o ski running.
    If it runs offer 2800. If no, walk away.
    Look at the ECU. If it has a 36, (it shouldn't, onlt 07's I think) as the last #'s let us know.
    Good luck.
    If you find a 15 for a good price get it. It is a faster/funner ski.
    Thanks for the advice, part of me still really wants to just get the 12F on the cheap, and make it a nice ski again. The potential is there, it's not too beat up, just some scratches, and the engine compartment was very clean. The problem is that I would pretty much have to buy it in non-running condition, and tow it out of the dock that it's in. It's about 3 hours from where I live, and two miles from my dock on the same lake. The complex it is in forbids having gas or gas cans on the dock, so draining 15 gallons out over there is out of the question. The most I could do is put a new battery in to verify that the gauges power up.

My wife, on the other hand, is in favor of just getting the brand new 15F, mostly because she doesn't want me jacking around with a used one for weeks on end while the summer blows by. At this point I'm inclined to agree with her, plus I already have a boat that needs some attention, so I don't need another one.

I'll post back with what I decide, though at this point I don't even know.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    If new is a possibility......then thats the best path, and the new 15f look mint , and thry are faster than previous models

Waz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information