Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

97 GP760 tech help

Ill try and make this simple...

Went riding this afternoon, 3 bars gas, 2 bars oil

Rode about a hour or so. Stopped to take a break. Got back on ski to take off and the oil alarm flashes and alarms with one bar blinking.

Turn the ski around to check inside the hull. No leaks of oil, everything ten four, I can see oil in the reservoir. Started it up again and the oil bar showed two bars now.

So decided to haul ass back to the ramp. Got half way back and the oil alarm starts going off and I start losing power then it cuts off.

I tried turning it over and about the fourth time it kicked over and rode fine all the way back to the ramp. Filled it up with oil and decided to give it a go to make sure its ok.

Started it and it acts like it's not getting gas. It idled a little rough, and when I gun it, it chokes out and dies. I can slowly apply the throttle, and the motor will rev up normally.

I loaded it up and brought it home, hooked the hose up. Checked oil lines, carbs are getting oil. Tried changing plugs to no avail.

Symptoms are ski won't really idle without a slight bit of throttle. I can't gun the throttle or else it acts like it bogs down then just dies instantly. But, I can slowly accelerate and it will rev up like normal, just can't get on it quickly.

Hope this makes sense, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also, I'm very green to pwc is General.

+1
    Your going to have to get the spark plugs out. Start with checking your compression and report back

3. +1 by:

+1
    I'm afraid you might have a dead cylinder. Maybe lean seizure from dirty carbs?

+1
    You mess with enough engines and you can usually hear a low cylinder just cranking it over...then I back it up with gauge to show my customers. If you find you have a low cylinder, go ahead and pull the head off to assess the damage. Hopefully you just fouled a plug but being it powered down on you,and wouldn't crank...my bet is a lean seizure that scored the cylinder rings

+1
    Ahh yes, the sort of hollow.....sounds like it's cranking slow but it isn't....sound.

+1
    Oh boy. Thanks guys, will report back in a few days... Can I salvage the cylinder, re-bore so to speak?

+1
    Depends on how bad and IF that's the problem. Do the compression check, if one cylinder is low go ahead and pull the head and report back with pics.

+1
    Will do, don't have a gauge. Waiting for dad to make it down with one. I'm sure we will be picking everyone's mind. Until then, thanks again.

+1
    One more question before he shows up Monday. Lets say it is in fact a partial seizure of a cylinder, do we need to just pull the top end out with rings and the piston? Obviously would need new gaskets and I'm assuming if the cylinder can be re bored, then a new piston would be needed to fit the new diameter? He lives a couple hours away, so we just want to make sure he gets everything needed before he leaves for a machine shop.

Also one last side note, if the oil lines were feeding fluid to the carbs the whole time, is there a possibility of it being a fuel related seizure or problem? Junk in one of the internal carbs, a jet clogged, etc?

Thanks.

+1
    Yes, could very well be fuel related and you need to rebuild carbs if in fact it leaned out. Yes, you can just pull the topend and pull the piston(s). You can tell if it's going to need boring by pulling just the head. Best case you can hone the cylinder and install new piston&rings, but you can't order p&r until you measure your bore. Would also tear into carbs to see if you need to order rebuild kits at the same time as you order your p&r and gaskets.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information