+1

Scuba diving off Seadoo RXT - pictures included

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131101_161550.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	257.8 KB 
ID:	327510Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131101_161605.jpg 
Views:	746 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	327511Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131101_161451.jpg 
Views:	3629 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	327512

Ive made a number of successful dives now off my 2007 RXT. I made a tank cage out of PVC pipe that get strapped to the rear handle and rear tow points on the back of the Seadoo. it holds 6 tanks and a cooler. I only have 4 tanks in the photo.
    I can do dives with one other person on the back (4 tanks max), or by myself (6 tanks possible, but prob never need that many).
    gear goes up front or inside the rear cooler.

The older style RXT or GTX is perfect for this, as there is so much flat space behind the seat. the new style skis are much more angled and contoured with no flat surfaces to sit tanks on.
    My cage doesn't hold the tanks, it just surrounds the tanks while the tanks actually sit on the matting at the back of the seadoo.

I wrapped 1/4in anchor line around my mirrors in a figure 8 pattern so as to still be able to sea the gauges. the anchor is just a small boat anchor that goes in the front hatch.
    I dont have to worry about setting the anchor on a moderate day, since the small anchor will hold the RXT in place easily since it is so small (unless in really strong current or waves). so i basically just drop anchor and dont even have to let out much line even for the anchor to hold, unlike a heavy boat.
    after anchoring, I turn, grip the seat with my legs, and pull out a tank and sit it on the seat of the RXT, then put the BCD and regulator on while it is sitting on the seat. inflate the BCD, throw it in the water, and then put the goggles and fins on and jump in after it. Just put BCD on in the water and you are set. after a little practice im faster at getting to my dive site, anchoring, and getting into the water than i am on a boat. I also spend a lot less on gas, don't have to own a boat, and don't have to own a truck either since i pull the ski with my car. I actually prefer this to a boat now that im good at it because its a little more adventurous, not to mention much cheaper.

The RXT actually rocks around less in moderate waves than a boat does, since it just rides up and down on the waves. A small boat will thrash around pretty bad in big waves when at anchor, the seadoo stays relatively stable and just bobs up and down with the waves. Its much easier to put the gear together on the RXT than in a small boat rocking around like crazy.

I also have a pole (pvc) that screws onto the dive cage and holds my dive flag, but it isnt shown in the photo.

The only hard part was making the cage, that took a lot of PVC parts and a lot of trial and error to get it all figured out and done right to hold 6 tanks. if you only want to hold 4 tanks or even 2 tanks it would be much easier to design the cage.

***added a youtube video of this.

Last edited by Makesumwake; 05-24-2014 at 03:51 PM.

+1
    As a long-time diver, I can appreciate what you have done.
    Just curious, how are you keeping that rack with all those tanks attached to your ski, with just that little red strap, or did you drill into the hull?

+1
    I just have straps that attach to the rear grab handle and the 2 rear tow points. it took me a bit to figure out how to get it tied on right, but i haven't had any problem with the cage coming lose at all.

+1
    Nice rig looks really fun

Banned User
    +1
    Nice work. I have always said I would rather be on a ski than a boat in rough water.

6. +1 by:

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I'm curious, how do you make sure your ski is still there when you surface? I'd be pretty Leary with as much theft there is down there with skis I'd hate to be stranded.

+1
    well, when you are diving you can hear other engines in the water. if you hear another engine close, you could surface just to check it out. besides leaving someone on the boat, there is a possibility of your boat not being there either when you surface also.
    i go on weekdays when no one else is even out there.

+1
    Youre lucky I wish I was back in Miami. Do you have the plans for how to make that cage? I was just thinking about wearing my gear except for the fins to the dive site here and jumping in.

Thread Information