Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Thrust Off Road Metal Gas Can

I have been looking for a safe way to carry extra gas on my RXP for long club rides (100 miles plus) and I came across these gas cans. It looks like it should be able to strap down on the back pad pretty easily and securely with straps. Does anyone have any experience with these cans or ones like it? I have thought about building a rack to carry gas, but I think that it may take up too much room and cause some drag. These are low profile tanks so my thinking is that it will cause very little drag and be easy to fill and remove.

http://www.discountramps.com/metal-gas-can/p/SFT/

where are you gonna carry them in/on an rxp?

+1
    I was thinking about strapping it onto the back pad. I have about 10 3/4" from the bottom of the seat to the back of the pad to work with and the gas can is 11 3/4" wide so there may have to be about an inch of overhang. There is a bit of an indention on the bottom of the gas can so it may not have any overhang. I was planning to use 2 ratchet straps attached to the tow hook running down to the two trailer hooks on the transom. The straps would run though the middle of the gas can under the handle so that they wouldn't slip off the sides. I have other friends in the club that strap down regular 5 gallon automotive gas cans to the back using bungee cords, but I want something that is more stable and more solid than a plastic gas can.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikesfan View Post
    I was thinking about strapping it onto the back pad. I have about 10 3/4" from the bottom of the seat to the back of the pad to work with and the gas can is 11 3/4" wide so there may have to be about an inch of overhang. There is a bit of an indention on the bottom of the gas can so it may not have any overhang. I was planning to use 2 ratchet straps attached to the tow hook running down to the two trailer hooks on the transom. The straps would run though the middle of the gas can under the handle so that they wouldn't slip off the sides. I have other friends in the club that strap down regular 5 gallon automotive gas cans to the back using bungee cords, but I want something that is more stable and more solid than a plastic gas can.
    I've seen anglers do all kinds of things to the backs of 3seaters. But seems to me I'd try and find something that'd go up front. I would have fewer probs adding hooks inside the hull, in the bin, than putting somethin outside on the back.

Curious..how far do you all run that no gas is available? Is 5 extra gal gonna do the trick?

+1
    We do a pretty good job of planning for fuel along the route so for the most part it would just be an emergency backup. I can get over 80 miles easy and 90 if I am really careful, but I can burn gas pretty quick if I decide to play a little along the way. I just want to have a little extra gas just in case I run low and I'm stuck a few miles from the next fuel stop. A 5 gallon gas can can give me enough gas to go about another 25 miles.

I'd still worry about the can shifting toward the tow eye and damaging the hull behind the seat.

+1
    If all you need is a little why not just buy like a 2 to 3 gallon tank for up front. It be enough to get you too the next gas stop unless you really screwed up your numbers.

+1
    Or a little bladder like they use in airplanes

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hahaha their stuff is pretty expensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information