+1

2003 Ultra 150. Seller says it does 58mph on the dreamometer.

I found a low hour (33) green and white Ultra 150 on craigslist. I just spoke with the seller and he says he weighs about 225 and he saw 58mph on the stock speedo last time he had the ski out a week ago. He doesn't ride it much, obviously and he admitted to not being mechanically inclined. He definitely didn't sound like a serious jetski type of person. Those things tell me that maybe he really doesn't know how to ride this ski for top speed. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask him about trim settings.

Still, 58 on the dreamometer seems awful slow to me. I would've expected him to say he saw 70 on the stock speedo. What do you guys say?

His brother-in-law was the original owner and he says that its never had any serious maintenance/mechanical work done to it. Carbs have never been apart.

+1
    Hello , 58 on the Speedo may seem a little low ... maybe not for a 225+ rider on that ski. Normal 170 guy 60-63 would be tops. :. Unless heavy mode. My 2 cts.

+1
    Thanks for the reply, Ozark. I just thought that the dreamometer would be showing about 10 mph faster than the ski really goes so I was surprised when he told me the speedo showed 58. I was wondering if the ski was really only going about 48 if it were checked with a gps.

He did say one time he was in his boat doing 54mph on gps and a friend was riding the Ultra and it (Ultra) was steadily pulling away from him.

I thought that these skis were a solid 63-66+ mph on gps. Was I wrong?

+1
    At 210 pounds, 2000' elevation, and 104F, my speedo will indicate 68-70.

I'd bet he's got the stock trim setup and has it trimmed all the way down. The speedo pickup may be slightly out of adjustment, too.

+1
    Steve, he did say the ski was all stock so I'm sure he hasn't done the trim mod. I wish that I would've asked him if he was adjusting the trim at at all for a better top speed. Your speedo numbers are more of what I expected him to say.

+1
    If there were really something wrong with it, i.e. a dead cylinder, I don't think you'd see 58. If that's really what it's doing, it might also have a pump problem or a sticky carb slide or something.

If at all possible, ride it before you buy it!

+1
    I already asked him if I could ride it and he said yes. The only used ski that I'd buy without riding is a free one or one that doesn't run.

Do the 2003s have the better pump seals?

Can you tell me more about the "sticky carb slides?" I'm familiar with Mikunis on my Yamis and Sea Doos but I know these Ultras have the Keihin carbs of which I know nothing about.

Its a dream-o-meter... enough said. Who cares what that guess meter thinks or what the old owner claims.

When going to look at it make sure the pumps in good shape, when test running make sure the rooms hit 7200

+1
    The actual throttle in these carbs is a slide that is controlled by vacuum. It's possible for them to get dirt on them so they don't open all the way.

Thread Information