2013 RXT-X holds water after injesting reed grass on river

Hello.
    Did a fresh water river ride this past weekend. Just before we quit for the day my ski ingested a significant amount of river reeds. Engine overheat light came on and I immediately shut it down. Got towed in by a buddy. On shore pulled out a lot of grass out but noticed a lot of it wrapped around the shaft and impeller.
    Got it home but couldnt get to it for a few days.
    Got to it today. Removed the grate and pulled off the reed grass. Went to start the ski and it turned over slowly, belching out gallons of water. Did this three times. Ski started on the forth crank, blew out a little remaining water. Orange engine light came on but went out. Ski sounds fine, revs ok.
    My question is...was there hydro-locking involved and what are my next steps? Where was all that water? What should I look for? May there be damage? Trying to avoid going to dealer but did get ski on the 3 yr warranty promotion.
    Thnx.
    Last edited by Buckdog; 04-26-2014 at 09:57 AM.

+1
    all that water came from the exhaust because u towed her. u shouldn t have cranked it with spark plugs on. however it looks like u avoided hydrolocking.

+1
    check your oil!!!! if it's milky change it including filter. run it and check the oil again if it's milky again change the oil again. keep doing this untill the oil is clear of water.

If you escaped it this time, don't risk it again. Fit a tow valve. It costs nothing, simple to fit and guarantees no water can flow back into the exhaust and into engine. If you need towing, turn the lever and tow away. Simple and great engine insurance.

5. +1 by:

+1
    If you tow your ski more than 5 mph, then there is a good chance you will fill your exhaust system and engine w water. A tow valve is a great way to prevent this.....

Ok thanx. Oil looked clear right after I ran it. Ill stay on top of it
    Thanx again.

+1
    You might run it on a hose and inspect for leaks, also check all your exuast components. I usually find when this happens the resonator gets melted and leaks water into the hull.. if no leaks you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by myown1manarmy View Post
    You might run it on a hose and inspect for leaks, also check all your exuast components. I usually find when this happens the resonator gets melted and leaks water into the hull.. if no leaks you should be fine
    Thnx. May go ahead and change oil. Will do hose test afterward.

Thread Information