Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Video of my msx 140 problem

Hi, i have tried so much stuff now im actually so close to giving up. but i really dont want to plus i wanna try the damn thing out.

I bought a dodgy jetski thinking it was fine (didnt test drive in water!... Oops)
    when i got it home i tried it on the water and it woudnt go over 40mph and would feel like it was juddering on the water. Then as i got to know the ski a bit more i recognised it was running rough just after idle all the way up to 6000rpm(i think) then it would do the judder thing stopping it going any further.

Anyway in my last ditch attempt to fix, i wanted to upload a video of the jetski running rough to see if anyone here can recognise the sound or fault, or if anyone has had this problem on there ski.

i have tried ..
    emm
    injectors
    coils
    stator
    flywheel
    spark plugs
    checked fuel pressure
    tested cps, heat sensors.
    Installed new tps
    Rebuilt top end
    new gaskets and crank seals

Im thinking it is a rare fault as all the common faults have been tried, but what could cause this type of running issue?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What spark plugs are installed?

That long list of things you have 'tried', what does tried mean?

Sorry list was meant to say...

Emm, tried two used emms both giving the exact same fault as my original. Is this a common fault on emms? Do they run like the video often? This makes me think it is not an emm fault.

injectors, used injectors tried temporary, still got same fault. (Was told they were good injectors)
    coils, used coils tried, still got same fault.
    stator, used stator tried, still got same fault.
    flywheel, used flywheel tried, still got the same fault.
    New spark plugs, correct type spark plugs installed, advised from manual.

Installed new tps
    ohmed out cps and heat sensors which tested fine at normal temperature i didnt try to change there temperature and test again.
    Fuel pressure tested fine even at problem rpm.

45volts at injectors, the volts drop off slowly when jetski is switched off.

To go with my last post....
    I took another video of the jetski on the hose and i revved a little more this time.
    It does the same thing and you can hear a different type of sound when it revs higher.

Also anther thing is the pisser dosent seem to be flowing as fast as the other msx with pisser fitted which i saw on youtube (i think its k447 ' msx)
    does this point to any thing regarding the running issue? Or is this another issue altogether aswel? Lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterBaby View Post
    ohmed out cps and heat sensors which tested fine at normal temperature i didnt try to change there temperature and test again.
    Thanks for clarifying what has been done so far.

Unplug the exhaust temp sensor. Try running the engine. Any change in symptoms?

+1
    To go with my last post....
    I took another video of the jetski on the hose and i revved a little more this time.
    It does the same thing and you can hear a different type of sound when it revs higher.

Also anther thing is the pisser dosent seem to be flowing as fast as the other msx with pisser fitted which i saw on youtube (i think its k447 ' msx)
    does this point to any thing regarding the running issue? Or is this another issue altogether aswel? Lol
    Water flow out of the EMM depends on feed water pressure and of course possible restrictions anywhere in the hose series.

Reverse flush hose connection will provide substantially less water pressure than a hose connection to the main water feed. In normal operation the water pressure from the jet pump into the cooling system varies quite a lot as engine RPM goes from idle to wide open throttle. Which is seen in the varying pisser water flow in that posted video clip.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying what has been done so far.

Unplug the exhaust temp sensor. Try running the engine. Any change in symptoms?

Unpluged exhaust temp sensor and it runs even worse and warning light comes on.
    Unplugged air temp sensor and it runs even worse too and has warning light on.

Could it run like this if the coil cables have been wired wrong?
    When i pull the pto cylinder spark plug wire the jetski stalls, but when i pull the other two individually it dosent stall.

Would faulty start stop module cause this running issue?

+1
    Check that the injectors and ignition coil primaries have not been cross wired. Each cylinder has a color code, ignition primary and injector will have the same assigned color.

I have posted somewhere on here the color coding for each Ficht cylinder.

And of course also confirm that the spark plug wires are indeed going to the correct ignition coil posts.

The MSX 140 has a double coil pack for two cylinders and a single coil for the other. All three coils are the same electrically.

There is a ground wire for the EMM wire harness somewhere near the ignition coil mountings. Make sure that is clean, tight and not corroded or damaged.

Note: The exhaust temp sensor uses the exact same plug as the fuel injectors. Confirm that these have not been mixed up...

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Check that the injectors and ignition coil primaries have not been cross wired. Each cylinder has a color code, ignition primary and injector will have the same assigned color.

I have posted somewhere on here the color coding for each Ficht cylinder.

And of course also confirm that the spark plug wires are indeed going to the correct ignition coil posts.

The MSX 140 has a double coil pack for two cylinders and a single coil for the other. All three coils are the same electrically.

There is a ground wire for the EMM wire harness somewhere near the ignition coil mountings. Make sure that is clean, tight and not corroded or damaged.

Note: The exhaust temp sensor uses the exact same plug as the fuel injectors. Confirm that these have not been mixed up...
    Just checked, wiring is fine too.

would the stop start module affect the ski in this way if it was going?

the only other things to try is...

exhaust, which looks ok and has not got any blocks that i can see.
    throttle bodies, what goes on these? Could this be the cause of my prob, nothing obvious looks broken on it.
    or EMM again but i was thinking that if all the emm's i bought had the exact same fault, then it would be unlikely that they would be faulty in the exact same way..... Or is this a common fault on the msx 140?

Have you any other tips to try out please?

+1
    Check large exhaust hoses for possible overheat damage and internal collapse or rubber delamination. Also check the plastic exhaust sections.

There is no Start/Stop module in a stock MSX 140.

There is a special LR-85 module between TPS and EMM. That can be unplugged and bypassed for testing, as it only provides ESP off power steering assist. Just unplug the two 3-pin connectors into the LR-85 module, then directly connect the two wire harness connectors together.

Other than the TPS the throttle bodies are extremely simple. Just the throttle butterfly valves and oil drip feed nipples. Nothing else of note.

Normal 2-stroke mechanical checks always apply. Reed valves? Compression?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information