2001 yamaha xlt 1200...1 cylinder running leaner than the others

I have a 2001 yamaha xlt 1200 that I just bought. The guy I bought it from just put a new motor in it and I have took it out and did the break-in on it, ran perfect. Took it ou the 2nd time ran perfect, we'll I changed the plugs today and two of the cylinders look the same, but one of them seems to be running lean. I don't know which one is #1 cylinder. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    The cylinder order is from the front of the ski to the back, so #1 is towards the bow and #3 is towards the stern of the ski. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the 3rd cylinder is running lean? Do you know if the carbs still have the stock jetting?

Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    The cylinder order is from the front of the ski to the back, so #1 is towards the bow and #3 is towards the stern of the ski. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the 3rd cylinder is running lean? Do you know if the carbs still have the stock jetting?
    The guy I bought it from, he rebuilt the carbs. I talked to him after posting this and he said everything is set to stock settings, he also told me that it might be worth doing the aftermarket flame arresters and I guess once you do that you have to re-jet the carb. I also didn't know that you check the plugs until after running pretty hard for a little bit. We took it out today and I checked the plugs after running and #1 & 2 looked the same and good I think, but #3 looked different still.

Also what's done to the ski is d-plate, wave eater clips, and block-off plate.

+1
    I would definitely rebuild the carbs and re-jet to aftermarket specs not only to get rid of the lean issue your having but the performance benefits as well. The stock jetting is known to run lean because Yamaha had to meet increasingly tougher restrictions thanks to our friends at the EPA. Check out the below thread in the how to section for additional information and jetting specs. You can take a crack at it yourself or send them to someone like WFO or Carl at Island Racing to rebuild.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177671

Thread Information