Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

powervalve issues?

I finally finished everything on my XLT including a new prop, D plate, pump plug kit and sealing the pump, and powervalve clips.

When I started it up today, i noticed my powervalves turn clockwise 1/4 turn as soon as the engine starts. When i turn it off, they turn back to the orginal position 1/4 turn counter clockwise about 3 seconds after the engine is shut off.

I'm pretty sure that's not the norm. When you shut the ski off shouldn't they do one cycle- 1/2 turn clockwise, 1/2 turn counter clockwise? I haven't had it in the water yet and I did have the cable to the valves off the PV wheel when I removed my stinger for the D plate. I don't remember how they cycled before I started all the work. I'm hoping it's just a cable alignment issue if anything at all.

Any help/ advise would be greatly appreciated!!

+1
    thats totally normal. its the motor cycling. mine does it same as yours.

+1
    now i'm second guessing myself. its late and i just got f-d up with some hot solder thru my safety glasses into the corners of both my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by SUCKMYWAKE View Post
    now i'm second guessing myself. its late and i just got f-d up with some hot solder thru my safety glasses into the corners of both my eyes
    ouch!

i'm really hoping it's normal... but for some reason i thought they did one complete cycle when you shut it down. 30 seconds after shutting off i thought they cycled open, then cycled closed.

my ski looks like they're opening 1/4 turn when you start it, then when you shut it off they cycle back to closed 1/4 turn.

i guess the only way to find it out is to take it for a test ride?

wow this is dissapointing! 53 views and nobody else can provide any information? i know some of you guys know how the PVs cycle normally! help me out guys!

TRIPLE PIPES ARE 2-STROKE TURBOS allcool's Avatar

no issue

Quote Originally Posted by skysurfer2010 View Post
    When I started it up today, i noticed my powervalves turn clockwise 1/4 turn as soon as the engine starts. When i turn it off, they turn back to the orginal position 1/4 turn counter clockwise about 3 seconds after the engine is shut off.

I'm pretty sure that's not the norm. When you shut the ski off shouldn't they do one cycle- 1/2 turn clockwise, 1/2 turn counter clockwise?
    1/4 turn is good, it is normal.

If they seem to operate erratically, clean/check the electrical plug connector for servo motor... it is a common gpr problem area.

A bad corroded connection at the servo motor plug has caused many to change out their servo motor only to find a bad connection was the real problem.

allcool

thanks! i'm extremely releived! i thought my 1300 use to do a complete cycle. plus the way my XLT cycled when shut off seemed slightly sluggish, almost as if the battery was dieing. the battery was just fully charged and holds a solid 12 volts.

i am going to water test it either tomorrow or thursday. thanks a lot to both of you for the help!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skysurfer2010 View Post
    I finally finished everything on my XLT including a new prop, D plate, pump plug kit and sealing the pump, and powervalve clips.

I'm pretty sure that's not the norm. When you shut the ski off shouldn't they do one cycle- 1/2 turn clockwise, 1/2 turn counter clockwise? I haven't had it in the water yet and I did have the cable to the valves off the PV wheel when I removed my stinger for the D plate. I don't remember how they cycled before I started all the work. I'm hoping it's just a cable alignment issue if anything at all.

Sounds a little short for a normal cycle. I will check mine in the morning and let you know.

thats exactly what i was thinking originally. i also didn't think they opened up a 1/4 turn as soon as it started. i'm hoping i'm wrong though and just paranoid.

i bought it from a very very honest seller. he said it ran flawlessly last year and only his daughter rode it. the day i bought it, it was snowing and he even called me later in the day to make sure i got home ok and to offer me money for a new wiring harness since it was slightly Mcguiver'd. so i can take his word that it ran good when he sold it.

i'm hoping it's normal or just a cable alignment issue. i'll have to dig into the service manual. i plan on taking it for a test ride tomorrow or thursday too. that should tell me right away if they're working right.

Check that there is no slack in the PV cables. That happend to mine so that the valves don't open fully. Just pull off the rubber cover over the PV motor and move the PVs by hand and you will see if there is any slack. Then just RTFM to do the adjustment.
    Cost me 3 MPH for slack cables.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information