Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 SLX 780 - no fuel/no start problem..(video)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6W...it?usp=sharing

so i've bypassed everything as you can see in the video to eliminate other probable causes.

i'm getting a pulse from the engine obviously, but cant feel any pressure on the fuel "outs" or the suction from the intlet of the fuel pump itself.

i Just rebuilt the fuel pump with the mikuni kit. directions were pretty straight forward.. not sure how i could've f***ed that up.

i know it's possible the lines in the fuel tank are bad, but the screws are pretty happy where they are. that's another pita getting a screwdriver, or even vice grips in there for that matter. but even if that were the problem wouldn't i be able to feel the suction from the pump itself anyway?..

any help is appreciated.. i'm stumped..
    Last edited by K447; 04-27-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What model and year is this machine?

Woops its a 96 slx 780

Banned User
    +1
    There are no lines in the tank. Its a solid aluminum tube for the fuel pickup

+1
    To answer the last question in your video, No, that isn't suppose to come out of the pulse line. That needs to be cleaned out before you go any further.

How'd you suggest cleaning that out?? Besides cranking it a whole bunch

+1
    I'd pull the plugs and pop off the pulse hose. Then the engine will turn over easily and see if it's expelling any crap/foam out any of the holes. I would think a could good cranks would get out any excess... if there were enough in there to worry about. After the engine starts and runs... it'll burn out the rest.

For priming the fuel line... you need air-tight seals at the connections. If it can move air instead of fuel... it will. And I doubt you'd feel much of anything suction or pulsing at the pump itself when not primed. I'd first figure out which port is which on top the fuel tank. Take a hose hook it up and blow into the tank. Assuming you have fuel in the tank... the harder of the 3 to blow through will be the deepest... and thus the reserve line. The next hardest would be the main line (assuming you have enough gas in the tank to cover to this level too). The last and easiest one to blow through would be the vent which doesn't stick down into the fuel. Label them to remember. Put your hose on the reserve line connector and clamp it down. Next put suction on the hose until you draw fuel up the fuel pickup in the tank and down the length of the hose. I'm not going to tell you to suck on it with your mouth like siphoning gas... but that is one way. Once you have fuel coming out the supply hose... hook it up to the fuel pump and clamp it. Now hook up the pulse line and give it a crank. Have a rag handy... it should start squirting.

If it's squirting... it's working. Hookup your remaining fuel lines to each carb. Make sure they are clamped and air tight. Then put the plugs back in. With the flame arrester (aka air filter) open... I spray a couple squirts of gas in each carb throat (like a primer would) then crank it over. It should try to fire over and start but then die. Do this a couple 3 times and it'll finally get these lines from the pump to the carbs primed and it'll finally stay running.

That's what's worked for me in the past. Use premixed fuel for this first tank if your needing to prime the oil injection system too.

That said... what's the history on your ski? Sorry if I missed your backstory somewhere. What was the original problem? Did you fix it? If you did not rebuild the carbs... you really need to... or else run a high risk of trouble.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    I'd pull the plugs and pop off the pulse hose. Then the engine will turn over easily and see if it's expelling any crap/foam out any of the holes. I would think a could good cranks would get out any excess... if there were enough in there to worry about. After the engine starts and runs... it'll burn out the rest.

For priming the fuel line... you need air-tight seals at the connections. If it can move air instead of fuel... it will. And I doubt you'd feel much of anything suction or pulsing at the pump itself when not primed. I'd first figure out which port is which on top the fuel tank. Take a hose hook it up and blow into the tank. Assuming you have fuel in the tank... the harder of the 3 to blow through will be the deepest... and thus the reserve line. The next hardest would be the main line (assuming you have enough gas in the tank to cover to this level too). The last and easiest one to blow through would be the vent which doesn't stick down into the fuel. Label them to remember. Put your hose on the reserve line connector and clamp it down. Next put suction on the hose until you draw fuel up the fuel pickup in the tank and down the length of the hose. I'm not going to tell you to suck on it with your mouth like siphoning gas... but that is one way. Once you have fuel coming out the supply hose... hook it up to the fuel pump and clamp it. Now hook up the pulse line and give it a crank. Have a rag handy... it should start squirting.

If it's squirting... it's working. Hookup your remaining fuel lines to each carb. Make sure they are clamped and air tight. Then put the plugs back in. With the flame arrester (aka air filter) open... I spray a couple squirts of gas in each carb throat (like a primer would) then crank it over. It should try to fire over and start but then die. Do this a couple 3 times and it'll finally get these lines from the pump to the carbs primed and it'll finally stay running.

That's what's worked for me in the past. Use premixed fuel for this first tank if your needing to prime the oil injection system too.

That said... what's the history on your ski? Sorry if I missed your backstory somewhere. What was the original problem? Did you fix it? If you did not rebuild the carbs... you really need to... or else run a high risk of trouble.

Cheers!
    sweet! thanks for that. a few things i haven't thought of. only reason i dont have many posts on here is because i usually find everything i'm looking for ! this is one of the best forums i've ever been on, seriously!

as for the history of it. my father had it for about 15 yrs and it's sat for the last 10 in the sun so it's pretty beat on the outside.. so i got it for free if i could get it running.

i've rebuilt all the carbs, fuel pump and all new fuel lines. it gets spark but no fuel. i'm going to give a few of your suggestions a try right now and see what happens, thanks!

ohhk. after 30 minutes of on/off cranking with the plugs out..
    it's still spitting out a little bit. not as much. and then it was squirting out of the center piston as well. (foud that unusual)...
    also, when i re-attached the fuel pump to try it again, there was still no fuel running out of it..

p.s. fuel never tastes good.. no matter how new it is.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by whitelightningz View Post
    sweet! thanks for that. a few things i haven't thought of. only reason i dont have many posts on here is because i usually find everything i'm looking for ! this is one of the best forums i've ever been on, seriously!

as for the history of it. my father had it for about 15 yrs and it's sat for the last 10 in the sun so it's pretty beat on the outside.. so i got it for free if i could get it running.

i've rebuilt all the carbs, fuel pump and all new fuel lines. it gets spark but no fuel. i'm going to give a few of your suggestions a try right now and see what happens, thanks!
    If it sat for 10 years, you are going to need to empty out the gas tank, clean it out, and clean out the pickup tube, and clean out / rebuild the carbs. Not sure what the light blue milky looking stuff is other than oil/water mix.....??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information