Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Cooling water problems

We have just purchased a 2003 MSX 140 with 240hrs but am having problems with the EMM overheating. The ski went into SLOW mode after about 15 minutes. Was fortunate to have access to cables and digital wrench. It shows this has happened 43 times. So not a new problem. Started checking all water lines against workshop manual and the feed line is going into the bottom of the flywheel housing and out the top , which is opposite to the manual ? But the biggest problem is I can't get compressed air to flow through the housing. Could this be the 90deg fittings blocked with corrosion or silt? The rest of the water lines are clear. I have tipped some white vinegar down the small hoses in case it is corrosion.

Banned User
    +1
    Remove the hoses from the stator cover and have a look. You may even need to remove the cooling cover on the front of the housing to remove the blockage.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerj View Post
    ... 2003 MSX 140

... checking all water lines against workshop manual and the feed line is going into the bottom of the flywheel housing and out the top , which is opposite to the manual ? ...
    If memory serves the service manual drawing does not match actual factory configuration for the Ficht stator water jacket cooling hoses.

The cooling system needs to be able to self drain when the hull is tilted nose up by ten degrees or more, and the diagram in the manual could trap water inside the flywheel cover water jacket.

I agree with BryanP, you need to be sure the stator water jacket and those small elbows are free flowing. Also follow the feed hoses back to the main tee to confirm nothing is crushed or kinked under or behind the engine.

A few of us have altered the EMM water flow to exit via a pisser fitting on the side of the hull, where we can keep an eye on it. I have posted details on my own pisser installation somewhere on here.

Ok.I will leave the hoses as they are. Thought that the loop direction was going to be the problem until I found the blockage at the front.
    Is there room to remove the cover in the ski? Looks like the fuel / oil tank could shuffle forward a little with straps off?
    I have blown compressed air down all the other hoses and they are clear.
    What will a worn thermostat pop valve do? There is wear on it. And where do I get a new one?
    I will take the outlet to a visible pisser , but not sure if I can get a nice fitting like yours(K447) in NZ

+1

What will a worn thermostat pop valve do? There is wear on it. And where do I get a new one?
    I will take the outlet to a visible pisser , but not sure if I can get a nice fitting like yours(K447) in NZ
    A worn plastic pop-off valve can get canted and potentially jam in the housing. I think they are still available new from Polaris.

One potential parts source is John Zigler. He does ship internationally and can supply new OEM Polaris parts and also has the pissers in stock.

Ok,Thanks for that. Will try locally for the valve first.
    My other question about( Is there room to remove the cover in the ski? Looks like the fuel / oil tank could shuffle forward a little with straps off?). If i can't get fittings unblocked on the cover, I would need to get the cover out?

Banned User
    +1
    I think the tank will move forward some, but the tank straps are a real pain to put back on.

+1
    Ok,Thanks for that. Will try locally for the valve first.
    My other question about( Is there room to remove the cover in the ski? Looks like the fuel / oil tank could shuffle forward a little with straps off?). If i can't get fittings unblocked on the cover, I would need to get the cover out?
    The elbow fittings are just threaded into the stator water jacket cover. If you can unscrew them with the cover in place, that might be enough.

Once you have the elbows in your hand you should be able to tell if the black age is just within the elbows or if there is accumulation inside the water jacket behind the cover.

Thanks guys. Might be a few days before I can get onto it.

I tried to remove the top brass hose fitting but it has broken, so have removed all the bolts to get the front cover off. It doesn't feel like it can come out with the oil pump in place?
    Is it going to be easier to take the engine out to fix this problem? Especially for fitting it back on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information