Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

watcon seal carrier

is anybody running one of these?

+1
    I have installed MANY here in our shop. Long before they were for sale on the web site.

Question?

Important tip, do NOT just install the carrier, and then push the shaft through. Doing this can damage the seals.

Push the shaft in from the back, partially. Put liberal amounts of grease on shaft end, and in the seals / bearings inside the carrier. Gently slide the carrier onto the shaft, then push shaft fully into the PTO, and then clamp the carrier into the hose. Grease the carrier after the install. A lot of times, I will run the ski, while greasing.

+1
    sent you a contact on your website john,if you want i can send you my #

+1
    What kind of grease do you recommend?
    Do you use wheel bearing grease or something lighter?
    I personally like the white lithium based grease, as it melt at a lower temperature and stays viscous. Wheel bearing grease only melts the small amount next to the driveshaft and doesn't seem to do a good job..

+1
    o'kay so heres what happened to me.got the first one,looks like a cool piece,test fitted it over the driveshaft.fits good.get it installed,pump all back together and start to grease it up.i'm using a one handed small grease gun,at about 20 pulls the handle stiffens for just a second then all resistance is gone from the handle.wasn't quite sure what to make of it.had the second one ordered.went to install it on the 700 virage and decided to grease it while one the driveshaft while it was out of the ski.so i'm watching it and around 20 pulls same thing happens.what i see is the rear seal on the carrier simply popped out of the carrier.now i had inspected the carrier before and both seals were installed flush with the carrier housing.so i reinstalled the seal to make sure.get it flush mounted and same thing.pops out.now i'm not gonna want to tear the pump apart every time i try to add or check the grease in the carrier.so i notice that the carrier is machined so that the seal will press in about another 1/8' or more.so i press the front and rear seals in until they bottom out.i then check that the bearing doesn't interfere with the seals and turns freely.everything looks good,so i install it into the virage.so now i go back,pull the pump out of the tx and what do i find?the rear seal popped out of it as well.so i do the same thing,and reinstall the pump.i'm not knocking the part.i like it,its a nice piece and something we need,but i feel that its EXTREMELY important that this is checked before somebody sinks a ski.

Banned User
    +1
    Which direction are the seals installed? With spring facing in or out? If the spring is facing in I could see how you could blow the seal out with the grease gun if you keep pumping.

+1
    Over filling the bearing with grease will blow the seals off the grease has to go somewhere.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris John View Post
    Over filling the bearing with grease will blow the seals off the grease has to go somewhere.

On the stock Polaris seal carrier, the grease will just squeeze out of the seal since the springs face out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris John View Post

On the stock Polaris seal carrier, the grease will just squeeze out of the seal since the springs face out.
    Does the Watcon through-hull bearing carrier arrive with the seals already installed? Which way does each seal face?

+1
    the ones i got had the springs facing outward just like the stockers, which i would have expected the grease to simply push its way under the seal when the carrier got full.

in the pic on the watcon website the seals are shown backwards from what both of mine were.

keep in mind guys im no novice here.i've been around race cars since i was 8.built lots of fast cars.built the 2 triple pipe skis.have built MANY from scratch carb setups.

all i'm saying here is is that i want to bring this to the groups attention as i think i deserves a REALLY close look.when first installed could somebody pay close attention and not allow any excessive pressure to press on the seals while greasing them? sure,but a year later you gonna remember that when you go to do some first ride maintenance?

hell i forgot to pull the jetworks valve apart and make sure the check ball wasn't stuck!!!cost me a custom crossover hose and a waterbox coupler.
    Last edited by K447; 05-04-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information