Where to put amp and battery for speakers.

I purchased the soggy dog audio system a few months ago and am preparing to install it on my vxr. The speakers go into the mirrors. So my thoughts were putting the battery and amp in the front storage compartment and bolting then down. My worries are water getting in there and the force against the bottom from wave jumping.

I just don't see any other space in the engine compartment that's large enough. I want to put it in the front storage compartment so I can run them both right to the speakers in the mirrors.

thanks!
    Last edited by Bryan; 04-29-2014 at 02:10 AM.

BUMP! Come on guys! He needs a little help with his speakers project! Anyone?

Thanks Jack!

Just wanted to add I'm also considering running the speakers to the vxr's battery. I would think that should be able to handle them. Just thinking whether I should put the amp in the front of the engine compartment, or in the front storage area. It seems like it would make sense to run it from the front compartment since the speakers are right there but my worries are water getting in there and then how to run the wiring all the way back to the battery.

I will take pictures and update the thread with them for people not familiar with the vxr.

Any input helps guys! Thanks!

Bryan,
    Depending on the size of the amp, there might enough room above the airbox. If I were mounting electronics on a ski (which I never have) I would want the unit to be out of the way of water and that front compartment doesn't necessarily stay that dry. There is some minor space behind the front box where your cluster is but I don't know how big the amp is. If you mounted it to the top of the airbox, then if the ski got turned over, it would still be above any water in the hull. My seat doesn't always seal that well but if you went toward the front under the lip, you should be OK. I have mounted a lot of things on boats over the years and you might want to put a light aluminum plate (you can use aluminum flashing from home depot) above it to help keep any water that might come in around the seat to run off away from it.

Regarding running wiring, use at least 10g or greater (numerically smaller) marine stranded copper (ususally it is "tinned" silver). You can source that stuff on line or at West Marine. I am assuming that your stereo is below 200 watts, correct? Your battery should handle this but something like a subwoofer would drain it fairly fast. Where will you put the head unit or is this just an jack for an ipod setup? Anyway, use a lot of dielectric grease on all connections and terminals as they all will corrode and corrode fast. Rock on!

Quote Originally Posted by cnyman View Post
    Bryan,
    Depending on the size of the amp, there might enough room above the airbox. If I were mounting electronics on a ski (which I never have) I would want the unit to be out of the way of water and that front compartment doesn't necessarily stay that dry. There is some minor space behind the front box where your cluster is but I don't know how big the amp is. If you mounted it to the top of the airbox, then if the ski got turned over, it would still be above any water in the hull. My seat doesn't always seal that well but if you went toward the front under the lip, you should be OK. I have mounted a lot of things on boats over the years and you might want to put a light aluminum plate (you can use aluminum flashing from home depot) above it to help keep any water that might come in around the seat to run off away from it.

Regarding running wiring, use at least 10g or greater (numerically smaller) marine stranded copper (ususally it is "tinned" silver). You can source that stuff on line or at West Marine. I am assuming that your stereo is below 200 watts, correct? Your battery should handle this but something like a subwoofer would drain it fairly fast. Where will you put the head unit or is this just an jack for an ipod setup? Anyway, use a lot of dielectric grease on all connections and terminals as they all will corrode and corrode fast. Rock on!
    thanks a lot for all the info! I'm in the process of installing them now. Should be completed tomorrow or Tuesday depending if I have time tomorrow. I will make a separate "competition" thread when I am 100% done!

I have installed a stereo setup on both of my ski's, 2007 vx and 2007 fx ho. I stored the amp in the front compartment and never had an issue and as far as the connectors go, I used a hot glue gun after soldering too make sure that no water could get in and corrode them.

also I connected the amps to the battery and have had music all day it doesn't use that much power to push a small amp of less than 200 watts but I also installed a separate (waterproof) switch in the front compartment to turn off the system from the battery when I want.

Quote Originally Posted by seanjackson View Post
    also I connected the amps to the battery and have had music all day it doesn't use that much power to push a small amp of less than 200 watts but I also installed a separate (waterproof) switch in the front compartment to turn off the system from the battery when I want.
    Yep I installed a switch too! Just made my installation thread! Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Miller View Post
    Any pictured/ Video?

I recently dropped my '14 Cruiser SHO off to get some custom pods made. I went with a JL Audio set up and an extra Gel battery. I should get it back before the memorial Holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Miller View Post
    Any pictured/ Video?

I recently dropped my '14 Cruiser SHO off to get some custom pods made. I went with a JL Audio set up and an extra Gel battery. I should get it back before the memorial Holiday.
    Nice looking forward to seeing it! There's a link to my speaker thread in my signature!

Thread Information