STX 15F Blown Head?

Took the ski out today and ingested some grass/ debris in the intake, enough to block the engine from cooling. The overheat warning indicator lit and the ski was immediately shut off. After clearing the debris it was restarted and after a little steam from the water outlet it started flowing and cooling down. Got to shore and shut down for about 2 hours, went to restart it was hydro locked and found water in oil! Towed it back to trailer came home and pulled plugs, water in cylinders 1, 2, and 3, 4 is dry.

Question is... did I ruin the motor and it should be completely replaced or is their possibly another scenario?

Any input is appreciated.

+1
    Immediately chase out all water with multiple oil changes and fogging!!!! Off
    the hose!!! When the motor runs free of water ingestion, then you need to clean out all pump hoses and the intake screen. And DO IT NOW!!!

+1
    Also check out any other post on this. Smoky Sevens especially.

4. +1 by:

+1
    kerasone 90% 10% oil is a cheaper good way to flush it out, yep you did the big nono if a motor over heats like that, best case blown head gasket worst case, by running cold water though right after it overheated, cracked head.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm pretty sure due to the circumstances that I have some internal engine damage, flushing it out with oil seems like a waste of time and money just to have water right back in. More to the point I feel like I should go ahead and pull the engine to have it re-worked, the ski has 176 hours on it and never had an issue so would it be in my best interests to go thru the entire motor rather than just a head job assuming that the head gasket is bad or worse a cracked head?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by c.anstead7 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, I'm pretty sure due to the circumstances that I have some internal engine damage, flushing it out with oil seems like a waste of time and money just to have water right back in. More to the point I feel like I should go ahead and pull the engine to have it re-worked, the ski has 176 hours on it and never had an issue so would it be in my best interests to go thru the entire motor rather than just a head job assuming that the head gasket is bad or worse a cracked head?
    176 is not a heap of hours for NA engine

Its probably to late now.... compression and cylinder leak down test would/will provide possible repair picture.

I would have undertaken this before regardless of planned rebuild (+ doesn't cost much)

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    176 hours isn't squat.
    Change oil.
    Pull plugs and turn over until no more water.
    Reinstall plugs and start it up. get it warm and stop. Check oil. If oil color is good start it up and run on hose. Start ski, start hose, stop hose, stop ski. DO NOT run on hose if ski is not running.
    Sooner you do this sooner you may save $$$ and your motor.
    If pisser is still plugged use compressed air and blow thru all cooling lines.

If it wont start do a compression check.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    176 hours isn't squat.
    Change oil.
    Pull plugs and turn over until no more water.
    Reinstall plugs and start it up. get it warm and stop. Check oil. If oil color is good start it up and run on hose. Start ski, start hose, stop hose, stop ski. DO NOT run on hose if ski is not running.
    Sooner you do this sooner you may save $$$ and your motor.
    If pisser is still plugged use compressed air and blow thru all cooling lines.

If it wont start do a compression check.

+1,000,000

Thanks for all the info, I decided to take it to a professional shop this morning, Just waiting for that phone call to let me know the damage. Hopefully its just the head gasket.

Thread Information