Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Difference in pro 785 and 1200

So I've been looking for a pro, and I've seen a lot more 785 than 1200s and any 1200s ive found are about a six hour drive or more for me, or they want gold for them. This will be my first pro, but from what I've been reading there isnt a terribly large increase in MPH and quickness from one to the next. Is it true the stock 785 has a triple pipe while the 1200 does not? Is it worth the extra drive and money for a 1200? I've also been looking for a 1200 slx. Basically I just want a polaris, and I want to go very fast and jump high. Thanks for the help!

+1
    I rode a Pro1200 for 11 seasons and these two boats couldn't be more different. The key differences between the two are the way the engine delivers the power and the design of the top deck. The 1200 has a broader torque band and the throttle response is more linear. The riding position of the 1200 is more comfortable. The 785 motor has triple pipes and exhaust valves which results in far more maintenance and tuning than the 1200.

There is a member here who owns both and he would be able to give you a more thorough description of the differences. His screen name is "Derwood98".

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blairwill4 View Post
    and jump high.
    It sounds simplistic, but get the 1200. Two words in your post made the decision that simple. "Jump high" If your main criteria is jumping high, then the Pro 785 shouldn't even be considered. A triple piped race machine is not the ski for that. You will spend more time wrenching and fixing pipe mounts than jumping.

And welcome to the Hulk !!!!

4. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Where are you located? If you really want a beast put triples on the pro 1200. I have a 1200 and I love it. Tons of fun.

+1
    I do have both and they are both really fun, but in a different way. The 785 can be a lot more maintenance. I rebuilt my 785 from the bottom up and personally touched every fastener, gasket, hose, you name it. I know it's solid. I have driven it now for two seasons with no issues what so ever and the only thing I did was put gas and oil in it and winterized it in the fall. If you are not very mechanical, I would not get one. I personally like the way the 785 rides though over the 1200. You hit the gas and you are gone. The only down side is that it has two speeds (for the most part), idle and wide open which I like.

The 1200 has a much broader range and you can drive it as fast or slow as you want. I got really lucky when I bought my 1200 from pro1200. He added some goodies to it and loved that thing like his own son. It was and still is in mint condition. I did purchase a set of triple pipes for it that I plan on putting on this spring. It's an animal out of the box, but I hear the triple pipes really wake these up. I am sure at that time that will become my favorite ski to ride.

Given both hulls are the same and the top decks are different, I think they handle a little differently. In my opinion, my 785 runs better in rough water than the 1200. I don't know if it's the lower profile or what. It may be because it was my first ski and that's what I am used to. I have taken some huge waves with both machines and they handle great. I do a ton of wake jumping and have not had an issue with either one and they both cut like a mofo.

If you are not very mechanical, I would not go with the 785. It can be a lot of work and the parts are not the easiest to find in some cases. There is not much room inside the boat to work on it so plan on saying a few choice words. The 1200 is a little easier to work on and is not such a rare bird as the motor was used in a couple different models. I personally would not part with either one of them. I have had people make me offers right at the boat landing and at the gas station. Strange.

That being said, they are both great machines and it comes down to know what you are looking at before you purchase. It can get pretty expensive if you end up having to rebuild one from the crank up. Trust me, I know. Do a search under my user name and you will get an idea of what you could get yourself into.
    Last edited by Derwood98; 04-28-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: format

7. +1 by:

+1
    All very good points and a solid write up from Derwood. That being said, if you're new to Polaris and your main concern is going fast and jumping high, (your words) then take the 785 out of the equation. I would also say forget about piping up a 1200. Normally we would ask about riding conditions and passengers and mechanical ability, range and distance of your rides...... but again, your words are fast and high. You really should consider adding the SLX1200 to your list. Fast as fuc# and you can jump them as high as the heavens.

Banned User
    +1
    Given the choice between the SLX 1200 and the Pro 1200 I would take the Pro every time.

+1
    Me too, but he only cares about going fast and jumping high so why not throw the SlX on the list too?

Banned User
    +1
    Good point. I find the pro to be a lot more fun. Hard fast turns are where its at.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Good point. I find the pro to be a lot more fun. Hard fast turns are where its at.
    Thanks for the help guys. I actually just found what seems to be a pretty decent deal on an slx today. Is this still a decent polaris ski? I know there are a few things that these skis usually need, replace tempo deathlines, and ive seen a lot of them with the water rail removed. Is this necesary? And how hard is it to do?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information