+1

Post FX140 steering position sensor problem

Bought a 2002 FX140 in December. Guy told me he bought it with a bad motor and had it replaced toward end of summer but never took it out due to his wife getting pregnant. Did a compression check all in the mid 100's. Ski was very clean in and out (like new) but had no gas in it so I couldnt start it. I beat the guy up and got it cheep enough to take the chance (1300 with trailer and cover). Back to the problem. I put gas in today ,as the weather here in jersey is finally warming up, changed plugs and oil and fired her up. Started right up and idled great for 6 to 10 seconds then a loud beeping sound started and the engine light was flashing. It also started to idle rough. Code was 55 steering position sensor malfunction. Pulled the steering covers off only to find there is no steering sensor like on my 2005 FXHO. I found a set of wires cut on the left side of motor taped up and hidden ( black, orange and white w/blue tracer).
    I also pulled the numbers off the computer 60E-83627-00 and think the engine and computer are from an 05 or later ski. My 1st question is will the missing steering sensor put the computer into safe mode making it run funny? 2nd question if i get an upper steering assembly off a newer model with the sensor and put it on the 02 ski will that work? 3rd do those three wires goto steering sensor and is there a way to bypass it to trick the computer?

I appeciate any help I can get.
    Thank you, Erik
    Last edited by Ewgo4it; 04-29-2014 at 07:09 AM.

Ok, the part number you are showing is not looking like the right number. Most of the ecu part numbers start out like 60E-8591A-01-00 That's and 02 non cruiser. The 05 also has an 8591A number so are you sure you are looking at the right number?

UPDATE: 02's don't have a steering sensor or at least the manual doesn't show one. In addition, the trouble codes only go up to 48. So 55 does not compute. Are you sure you have an 02 ski? The serial number would end in 02 if so. If you have an 05 engine with an 05 harness, then the 05 steering sensor should work with it. Looking at the diagram for an 05, the steering sensor is an "on/ off" sort of thing that probably grounds a yellow/black wire or the red/white wire to the black one. These are the colors that match up to an 05 HO, (I do not have an 05 fx140 manual. I'm not an engineer but I would assume that as long as none of the three are touching, you should be good as the majority of the time, you are not hard left of hard right. If the computer is looking for a certain resistance, the manual does not specify a range and tells you to use diagnostic software to determine if it is bad.

Since the ski started an ran ok for 6 seconds, I am guessing you have other issues. Start with a compression test, put new plugs in (I know this sounds too simple) but the MR1 engine is very hard on plugs. While this could be incorrect what mfg date is on the valve cover? (doesn't mean it has the right one on the right engine). You got a deal on something. What you got remains to be seen. I would check everything else before focusing on the steering switch.

+1
    Thank you for the response,
    OK the hull id number ends in 02 on the tail of ski. The number on the valve cover is 60E-2179N-D0 manufactured 11/04. I crossed the white (color is faded so it might be yellow) with blue tracer with the black and at start up I am still getting loud beeping with check engine so I tried the orange with black and same result. I am thinking resitance is needed. As far as the plugs go I just put new ones in the day of initial post. also changed oil. It ran the same with old plugs so i have ruled out plugs. I am now trying to get a manual to test the cps and tps. Heard i may have a problem there. I will do another compression test when it stops raining. Where on the cpu would the number be? I can only see the number on the sticker below the warning sticker.

Ok, we are getting somewhere. The ECU is inside the electronics box. You have to take all those perimeter bolts off and split the box to get to it. I am guessing you will find that it is an 05 like the engine but you should check. The manual won't help with the steering switch as they do not give a testing procedure or values so if you can pick one up on ebay or from the forum, you will just have to try one or borrow one from someone that has a similar ski. Knowing where to plug it into the harness might be tough but if the colors match up, you should be good. Good luck.

+1
    Ordered steering switch from ebay for 33bucks. Spliced it in and no more beep, enginelight or codes. Seems to run better. I will have to water test as soon as we get a good day. I will also split the comp to get that number to make sure they match but I am pretty sure they do. Any way to find out if this is a HO motor from the valve cover number? thank you cnyman

+1
    Ok water tested today. Didnt go passed 6k rpms. In reverse went all the wayto 11k rpms. Do the 05s have a child mode or low rpm mode? Keep in mind the display is the one tha came with the 02 ski. Do i have to get a remote or the 05 digital display? If i diconnect battery will it retain privious codes or will the computer reset? Thanks, Erik

11k in reverse? You still have a bucket on the back? Yes, the 05's have a low rpm mode but rarely is it set there if there is no remote present. Since you have an 02 ski and an 05 engine, who knows what prop you might have. I could be wrong but an 02 display would only go up to 8 k wouldn't it? The 02's were the 140 motor. (the memory is fading but my 03 140 had the lower rev limit display I think.) Have you looked at the air cleaner? A lot of times people fill the oil to the full line when cold and when the ski warms up it is grossly over filled. When this happens, the air cleaner gets soaked and will keep the rpms down. Take the engine cover off, remove the air cleaner and see what it does that way. If it runs up properly, then most likely the filter has oil in it. Check the oil level after warming it up on flat ground or in the water. The ecu keeps everything no matter how many times it is powered on or off. You can get yds sofware and cable to run on a laptop for around 60 bucks and this will tell you a lot about the ecu. For now, it sounds like you are close to getting it up and running though.

Thread Information