Thread: Yamaha Warranty

+1

Yamaha Warranty

So I did buy the 4 year extended YES warranty in my ski, but with that said how does Yamaha feel about mods.

Looking at some of the common failures and simple fixes to them would Yamaha throw a fit if you have them installed?

I see there are a few options for helping mitigate the clutch failure. If you were to install the riva dampener to help with keeping the clutch from failing and then it failed would they still cover the failure?

I would like to keep the ski running as well as possible and not have to bring it in for repairs under warranty if I can help alleviate them, but at the same time I do not want to do a modification to help stop a problem and then have that mod be the reason they deny the claim when that item fails.

For IC, cooling upgrade, BOV, etc etc. I can not see Yamaha being able to claim those mods caused the failures as they do the same as OEM just better. Now Flashing, removing limiters, etc I understand can be reason for voiding and that is expected.

What are peoples experience with this? Is it something more hit or miss depending on dealer or more overall controlled by yamaha?

+1
    If you flash the ECU they're going to try to get out of fixing your engine if you blow a piston due to rpms or running lean but as long as you don't change out your wheel they'll still cover the clutch. If you change out everything then buying the extended warranty is pretty pointless.

+1
    The clutch was the primary concern. So I think I will go with the riva dampener since I ride out on the ocean just to hopefully keep the clutch from failing but still have the warranty if it does.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentShooter View Post
    So I did buy the 4 year extended YES warranty in my ski, but with that said how does Yamaha feel about mods.
    Depends on the dealer, talk to them.

5. +1 by:

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    The dealer here said as long as you do the bolt-ons, there wont be a problem. If you do the ride plate, intake grate prop, etc, your more then likely OK. If you get into the S/C, Ecu or the internals, your asking for a voided warranty.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentShooter View Post
    Depends on the dealer, talk to them.
    This is the correct answer. Your dealer is the "eyes/ears" of the factory. They will be your best ally or your worst enemy...

My suggestion as stated before on a previous thread is:
    1) Get to know the service people more than the sales people in the dealership
    2) Get to know what they enjoy doing in their free time (usually not ski or powersports is what i've found)
    3) Insist they come ride with you if you have a spare ski and you can convince them to go
    4) Ask what their feelings are about mods/bolt ons from mild to wild

***Most importantly...get to know them and have them get to know you***

My local dealer/service manager will bend over backwards to help me out with any issues.

I've bought pizza for the entire service department when I dropped a ski off for some labor. Another time when I had a used ski shipped across the country to their location to use their fork lift.

It's SALES 101.

+1
    Quick question to fellow Aussies on the forum regarding warranty with Yamaha.
    I inquired about warranty validity (3 year standard) with a Queensland based dealer on a new SVHO, I asked what the story is when mods are made and was told in a strict manner that once any, any modification at all is made then warranty is no longer valid.
    Is this indeed true across the country, or does it depend on the dealer? Thanks!

Thread Information