Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Intercooler Upgrade for '04 aquatrax f12x

I have an '04 turbo f12x and was wondering if a worthwhile upgrade would be ONLY upgrading the stock intercooler off of the turbo. My ski has about 100 hours on it.

I know there are other power upgrades like the macsboost and what not, but I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on any expected gains from simply putting a better intercooler on would be. I have read that the stock IC isn't exactly a beast at what it is supposed to do and the IATs are still fairly high even with it functioning properly.

A follow up question to this would also be if one were to replace the IC, reducing IAT's and possibly getting more power out of the engine, would there be additional upgrades (like those notorious valve springs) that should be done to prevent other components from failing as a result of the increased power?

thank you!

+1
    Yes a intercooler and a 6, 8k resistor on the tcp sensor is all you need to make your ski come alive. Nitros valve spring kit would be nice insurance, but I dont know if he makes them anymore. I did sent him a pm couple af day back but no response from him till now.

+1
    What is the TCP sensor (I gather it is some sort of positioning sensor?) and where is it located? What is the purpose of adding the resistor, in terms of what the ECM thinks is going on?

I know on some motors resistors are added inline to the IAT sensor to trick the computer into thinking the air is colder than it actually is, richening the A/F mixture.

The IC kids I have seen people advertising are pretty expensive!

+1
    the intercooler is cripled by the stock ecm. A module alone will out perform an IC every time.

Plug and go, then add the IC for double the effect.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Makon View Post
    What is the TCP sensor (I gather it is some sort of positioning sensor?) and where is it located? What is the purpose of adding the resistor, in terms of what the ECM thinks is going on?

I know on some motors resistors are added inline to the IAT sensor to trick the computer into thinking the air is colder than it actually is, richening the A/F mixture.

The IC kids I have seen people advertising are pretty expensive!
    The TCP sensor is just a map sensor. The Honda engine uses 2map sensors. The tcp (map) sensor sits on the intake plenum/ manifold. Adding the6.8k resistor will clamp the tcp sensors output voltage to 3.4V and therefore the ecu cannot read the over boost. I’ve build my own “fuel cut defenders “and trust me this is the easiest way the get a clamp voltage on the tcp sensor. It will take you less than 5 min to install the resistor and less than a dollar. Like I say to everyone if you have the money buy a macsboost module. If you want to save some money you can do the6.8k resistor with manual boost controller.

+1
    Thanks! I can certainly install that, but I have done next to work on turbo engines (reasonable amount on non-turbo) and am mechanically inclined. I assume that the boost is normally controlled electronically by the ECU as it senses pressure, temps of the intake? What would I need to put in a manual boost controller, (other than a gauge to figure out what the boost actually is) and does that essentially just "lock" the boost at a certain PSI?

This upgrade (like the macsboost) would want to be coupled with an aftermarket/custom intercooler I gather.

Also, what is a relatively "safe" boost level for the engine? From what I have read, it seems 14 PSI is where u would want to consider an aftermarket IC due to the crazy IATs that would be coming off of the turbo.

+1
    No problem bud. To install the resistor is the easiest thingin the world to do. I’m finally flipping my ski tomorrow then I’ll post you some pics. All my parts are aftermarket. The boost is controlled by the ecu with a solenoid. 14 psi will be safe without an intercooler. I have an Innovate AFR gauge on my ski and I can tell you AFR’s are safe up to about 18 psi without any additional fuel. All you need is a 6.8 ohm resistor a manual boost controller and a boost gauge.

+1
    So you are using the MBC to relieve extra pressure that the wastegate would normally see (so it doesn't slow down the turbo). Then you are also capping the voltage at the MAP sensor to prevent the ECU from detecting the overboost. SO as I understand it, the MAP (TCP) sensor is an electronic overboost protection, and the wastegate is a mechanical overboost protection?

I guess the idea is that if you put the MBC in without the resistor, the ECU will still see overboost and throttle the turbo? What I am trying to figure out is that if this resistor installed on the TCP sensor essentially bypasses the overboost safety on the ECU, thereby making it vulnerable to engine damage of the MBC is inadvertently set too high?

+1
    Yes I use a MBC to bleed boost pressure at the actuator sothat the waste gate don’t open so much. Yes without the resistor the ECU will see the over boost and go in tolimp mode. The waste gate is not for “over boost protection” but it is used to control the amount of exhaust gasses flowing through the turbine of the turbo. Just use a boost gauge to make sure your MBC is set correctly.

+1

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information