2001 gp1200r problem

I have a 2001 gp 1200r .the problem is the motor runs just fine but now the impeller is not spinning.what are we looking at for the problem? Thanks

+1
    splines are striped,pull pump and check ,if so replace both shafts

3. +1 by:

+1
    Just went through this, you need to pull the pump and replace the drive shafts. While you are in there you mine as well rebuild the whole pump with all new bearings and seals. I replaced everything all OEM, new shafts, seals, bearings. Mid shaft bearing carrier, coupler and even a new grease nipple for the mid shaft bearing carrier. I left no stone un turned. It wasn't cheap but I would stick to OEM. Your going to find that once you get in there your not going to like what you see more then likely.

Look in the how to section on pump assembly and check out the Duke method for installing the pump bearings and and driveshaft.

Edit:One other big thing, your going to have to remove the stinger(that big exhaust piece) and remove the top engine mount bots and slide the motor forward a couple inches to remove the midshaft assembly. Be for warned you might break a bolt or two on the engine mounts, I ended up placing two engine mounts. I was able to remove the bolt from one and keep the mount as a spare.

+1
    The base of each mount connects to the hull with two bolts. If you remove all 8 bolts wont the entire engine slide forward on the stringers/rails (whatever they are called)? I'm having trouble visualizing how you could break bolts moving the engine forward?

+1
    Yes the base of each mount is connected by 2 bolts to the hull but the engine is only bolted to each mount by one bolt. Because I replaced everything I needed to realign my motor which requires removing the 4 bolts holding the engine to the mounts.

How do you break bolts? I broke 2 bolts holding the engine to the mount, not really hard to do, it's a salt water ski. I tried heat and about 2 weeks of pb blaster before I just said fuck it they break or they don't and they broke.

+1
    Gotcha, the mount bolts are a bear under ideal conditions. Easier to deal with the mount to hull or mount to crankcase bolts unless alignment is off. Hopefully Doug you can just slide forward then back and rebolt and be done with it.

Thread Information