Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestions on where to buy a battery

My battery on my 03 sportster is losing its charge after 2-3 weeks of sitting. Would you recommend just going and buying a marine battery from Walmart? Any thing specific I need to know before buying a battery?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Buy a top quality battery, have less hassles and longer battery life. Watercraft batteries generally have a tough life, cheap batteries tend to have shortened lives.

My recommendation, not specific to your Sportster model, is Deka brand factory sealed AGM batteries. Also sold under other brand names.

Look up which AGM battery model/size Deka recommends for your machine, then hunt for that.

3. +1 by:

+1
    have been using battery mart for different types of battery's check it out

+1
    I use Walmart marine batteries - with a 1 yr warranty, after the summer is over ,I just bring it in and tell them its dead, they just swap it out. Pay once and never again.

do most waverunners have a built in charger like an alternator? or to be more specific a 1998 1200 gp

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwgsx View Post
    I use Walmart marine batteries - with a 1 yr warranty, after the summer is over ,I just bring it in and tell them its dead, they just swap it out. Pay once and never again.

so you are saying that walmart will replace a battery multiple times under the same receipt?

Typically, a warranty replacement will not enjoy the same warranty as the original.

#doubtful-unless you are drinking buddies with the auto department manager

In regards to the Deka AGM, I use them on my car and truck American made and a reliable company.

They listened to the resellers..when the cut the PWC battery warranty last year to 6 months everybody thru a fit.

Back to the full year as of 4/1/14
    --------

before springing for a new battery you want to check the system for a current draw. Easiest way to to wire a taillight bulb is series with the ground lead and see if it lights up when everything on the boat is switched off and you connect it.

Don't turn anything on or the bulb filament will vaporize

takes a big draw to flatten a group 65 sized battery in a week..if the battery is really old, just replace it.

Deka makes batteries for a number of vendors study the design a little and you will recognize the terminal style indicating a Deka/East Penn Battery.

I figure since I've been back in the biz, DEKA batteries have saved me at least 25 pairs of work jeans.
    Last edited by K447; 05-01-2014 at 09:31 PM.

+1

Buy lithium-earth x

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcarl92807 View Post
    My battery on my 03 sportster is losing its charge after 2-3 weeks of sitting. Would you recommend just going and buying a marine battery from Walmart? Any thing specific I need to know before buying a battery?
    i have the Earth X lithium battery in my 09 150 Speedster-2 1/2 lbs vs 23 lbs, no acid, no winterizing, 2 year warranty and small enough to carry one as a spare. KTM,Harley, etc. are using in their bikes.
    Ran one in my 08 RXT-X. Ron

+1
    I don't have any buddies that work there. The battery has a date sticker on it, they don't even check. They grab another battery of the same type, print a receipt and you are on your way. At least that's what they do where I shop at.

Buy From...

I would look to buy your battery from Advance Auto. Usually have some good 30 off 75 or 40 off 100 coupons posted online. Can order online and pick up in your local store.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by michiganmike View Post
    I would look to buy your battery from Advance Auto. Usually have some good 30 off 75 or 40 off 100 coupons posted online. Can order online and pick up in your local store.
    I'd be right on that but with no store near me the shipping kills any chance for profitssssss.

My deak batteries cost me .50/pound to ship from 120 miles away. Sometimes when I have a big order, I'll just drive up there to pick them up. Handy when I have to go to the airport to pickup the wife sometimes.

A while ago advance auto made the mistake of shipping gallon jugs of motor oil(for FREE!)

well after I ordered 100 gallons of GTX a couple of years ago they changed the policy to no longer ship motor oils.

And the price was really good too..made it worth my while to deal with oil changes..these days not so much.

I buy my Castrol at walmart and just mark it up to what the local auto parts store charge for quarts.

Bulk oil from the Castrol distributor would cost me MORE then buying it at walmart.(wasn't that a huge shocker)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information