Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

FZR Cooling Question

I posted this in FAQ's, but haven't got any replies.

I'm currently running a JD intercooler with the stock cooling line routing. I plan on running a dedicated line to the IC off the strainer of my Riva pump, and replacing the "X" fitting (inlet, flush, IC out, eng out) with a the "Y" fitting from a VXR. I might also restrict the flow to the water box a little. It seems like that should be enough to improve flow to the engine and oil cooler, as well as the IC. I would also be adding another pisser from the IC. I've seen the instructions to the Riva cooling kits, and it seems like my way would increase the cooling almost as much. I read somewhere that you shouldn't increase the oil cooler flow much (like the Riva and R&D kits do). To do it my way, I would just need the elbow from the strainer, fitting for the IC, the through-hull fitting, a pisser (2 so they match), the VXR "Y" fitting, and the hoses.

Would this work?

Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    I posted this in FAQ's, but haven't got any replies.

I'm currently running a JD intercooler with the stock cooling line routing. I plan on running a dedicated line to the IC off the strainer of my Riva pump, and replacing the "X" fitting (inlet, flush, IC out, eng out) with a the "Y" fitting from a VXR. I might also restrict the flow to the water box a little. It seems like that should be enough to improve flow to the engine and oil cooler, as well as the IC. I would also be adding another pisser from the IC. I've seen the instructions to the Riva cooling kits, and it seems like my way would increase the cooling almost as much. I read somewhere that you shouldn't increase the oil cooler flow much (like the Riva and R&D kits do). To do it my way, I would just need the elbow from the strainer, fitting for the IC, the through-hull fitting, a pisser (2 so they match), the VXR "Y" fitting, and the hoses.

Would this work?
    Riva kit is great... I installed and it added speed and consistency. The SHO oil cooler is crap so it needs the extra cooling. They improved the design of the oil cooler now with the svho.

+1
    The thing with the Riva kits is that the kit for if you have the Powercooler has a 1/2X1/2X1/2 "T", but does not come with the through-hull fitting or the fitting for the strainer. The kit for a stock IC has a "T" with a 3/8 line going to the IC, and also comes with the fitting for the strainer and I believe it comes with the through-hull fitting. Basically, I would need the kit for a stock IC, but with the "T" for the PC kit. I guess I could find a "T" for cheap, because I think that is the one fitting in the kit that's plastic, but I was wondering if I could achieve close to the same results the way I said. It would increase the flow to the oil cooler and engine because it's not going to the IC if I run a dedicated line for the IC.

It seems like Jim (rideplate Jim) said he changes the routing of the kit because he says the oil cooler shouldn't have as much cooling as the kit provides because the oil needs to be at operating temp to prevent blow-by.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    [QUOTE=Jmfmk3;2366739]
    The SHO oil cooler is crap so it needs the extra cooling. They improved the design of the oil cooler now with the svho.
    The early SHO had 2 cooler lines going to the oil cooler. The late models only have 1 line going in to oil cooler. Less cooling going thru the new ones they lowered the amount of water going in from 2 line to 1 line.

So why would yamaha upgrade the oil cooler for the svho?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmfmk3 View Post
    So why would yamaha upgrade the oil cooler for the svho?
    All they did is put an external cooler with less water going to it from 2 lines to 1 line feeding it. They probably seen that they did not need 2 cooler lines feeding it and just went with 1 you have to understand get the oil to cold and see what happens you will have all kinds of issues.

I got great results from my kit on my 2013. I live in Miami though. I ran better than my brothers ski with same mods after I did the upgrade.

+1
    Here's what I'm talking about.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooling.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	327901

+1

That's how I did my Fizzle and am very pleased with it. No overcooling oil, plenty of cooling for intercooler. Plus its simple and cheap. Don't forget to add a strainer to keep debris out of intercooler, especially if you run where there are weeds occasionally.

+1

That is perfect. block the factory line going to intercooler and put one straight from the pump. I have done a ton like that with O issues.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information