Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Trying to figure a few things out?

Just picked up a very clean 96 xp compression is just about perfect but I was told it was rejeted not sure why it would need to be rejeted it also had a new propeller put in not sure how to tell what type it is. Guess it doesn't really matter to much
    one other thing is when I ajust the vts the gauge doesn't move is that normal if it's out of the water?

one more thing I also have a 94 spi and it has that stock mirror on the side and I can't stand it. I havnt looked to see how it is mounted but can it be removed and holes plugged?

+1
    Does the VTS work at all? its common for a ski that age to have the indicator or the VTS as a hole fail. mine does not work and doesnt bother me. it should move in or out

the mirror can come off should just be taking the screws out and filling the holes.

+1
    There is a mod to mount a new pickup on the outside of the existing VTS box in the back, the gauge pickup magnet gets weak and the gauge stops working. It's really not worth fixing in my opinion... Most ppl just rip on...

As far as the prop and re-jetting, i would be leary of any of that... I'd pull the carbs and the pump and figure out what has been done and make sure that it's a proven setup. Hopefully it's a good setup, but if the guy didn't know what he was doing it could cause engine failure.

+1
    Sounds more like a case of Joe Dirt trying to be the salesman and talking up the ski. Trying to make it sound like it has more power when really he just sounds like an idiot. My bet is when you inspect the carbs you'll find stock size jets.

The vts does work just the gauge shows all the way up. The prop is from impros. Saw the old prop which was in the new prop box. In regards to the jets I have the bag with the ones that were replaced.

+1
    I'm not sure what to think about that. No need to change jets unless something was altered???

That's what I thought too but compression is good runs on the trailer great. I don't know

+1
    Stock airbox, or aftermarket? That would need a jetting change.

I think it is stock I'll look and let you know

+1
    The gauge sending unit in the box is bad. No big deal just ride it. The box has end of stroke sensors so to speak so you can't overload the motor. You can get a replacement sensor and magnet, but its not worth it really. In fact I bought one for mine and it is still sitting on the shelf because it would be a major PITA to install. I had to do the power door lock relay mod to mine because my vts box was completely shot! As far as a rejet it is possible impros repitched the impeller and the previous owner removed some of the mesh screens from the flame arrestor. Kind of a poor mans aftermarket air filter mod. Not saying this is the case with yours but people have done that. You won't really know until you pull the carbs and see what jets are in them.

If you have never rode a 96 XP prepare yourself for a ton of fun! Throw a Jet Dynamics grate, beach house sponsons, and hang on!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information