+1

Question about overheated 15f

Hi All,

I am looking at a 2008 15f with low hours only 18 I believe the seller said. The seller usually sells broken skis for parts but this one he Had a respectable shop fix the ski (Jet Trendz Tampa FL) They replaced the head gasket and he states the compression is 190 for each cylinder and the shop said motor is ok.
    I guess the ski sucked up some sand and caused it to overheat causing the head gasket issue.

He is asking low 4k. The ski has a few scratches but looks pretty clean.

My big worry is the motor was damaged when it overheated. If the compression is 190 for all three cylinders should I be ok?
    What other test could be done for peace of mind?

Thanks

Mark

I just overheated mine this past weekend and either blew head gasket or cracked head not sure which yet but funny thing is I called SBT (Short Block Technologies) and they highly recommended Brett at Jet Trendz, he's actually in New Port Richey, FL. They said he was the best out there so that is where I dropped mine off at on Monday! You should call Brett and ask him about the ski you are looking at.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MPG350 View Post
    Hi All,

I am looking at a 2008 15f with low hours only 18 I believe the seller said. The seller usually sells broken skis for parts but this one he Had a respectable shop fix the ski (Jet Trendz Tampa FL) They replaced the head gasket and he states the compression is 190 for each cylinder and the shop said motor is ok.
    I guess the ski sucked up some sand and caused it to overheat causing the head gasket issue.

My big worry is the motor was damaged when it overheated. If the compression is 190 for all three cylinders should I be ok?

Thanks

Mark
    First problem is there are 4 cylinders on a 15f so if there are only 3 its an issue in all seriousness though your best bet is to go ride it and look it over, vary the throttle, do some hard launches and chop the throttle, basically abuse it and see how it responds.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by c.anstead7 View Post
    I just overheated mine this past weekend and either blew head gasket or cracked head not sure which yet but funny thing is I called SBT (Short Block Technologies) and they highly recommended Brett at Jet Trendz, he's actually in New Port Richey, FL. They said he was the best out there so that is where I dropped mine off at on Monday! You should call Brett and ask him about the ski you are looking at.
    Yeah New Port Richey, well good to know they are highly recommended.

Yeah I might give them a call, also have the vin was going to call the dealer to check the history of the ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MPG350 View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks

Mark
    First problem is there are 4 cylinders on a 15f so if there are only 3 its an issue in all seriousness though your best bet is to go ride it and look it over, vary the throttle, do some hard launches and chop the throttle, basically abuse it and see how it responds.

Sean
    Ha yeah I meant all the cylinders had good compression....
    Yeah that was the plan run it hard and see how she takes it.

Thread Information