Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Yamaha vxr.. Thoughts new to 4 stroke?

Hello, not sure how I was never a member of greenhulk. I've been a member of pwc today for years and realized it's the same 2-3 guys ever responding to my posts figured id venture out and try something new i sold my gp1200r last summer and I recently I just sold my kawasaki sxr800 and now feel a void in my life..

I was pretty much set on buying this fx cruiser then I seen this 2011 vxr with 70 hrs for 7500$ Without a trailer. I've spent the past 2-3 hours investigating online and came up with only downside is no trim and the occasional thread about it nose diving? (I read there was a recall on a nozzle and will bring this up if it was replaced when I see it). I've also searched around and seen the price of 7500 is a decent deal haven't seen one under 8900 (searched pwc trader and Craigslist) especially with under 100 hours.

My other option while looking for a vxr I came across a 2008 sho. Ski has 170 hours (claims all freshwater) and it comes with a trailer and cover. The salesman at the dealer says it has been maintained by their dealership since new.

How it will be used- mostly riding with my gf. Island hopping. The occasional ride by myself where I go wot. Which gives the VXR advantage as I'm not in need of a SC

Any advise? Is 170 hrs for a SC engine too many? Is my safe bet the VXR? My friends and GF basically call me a craigslist wh*re haha I search Miami through Gainesville everyday for a deal

i see your in tampa...with that being said my opinion on a vxr for that area with the bay chop and big surf if you venture out....well my opinion is you will get pretty beat up on the vxr.....i own a 13 vxs which is basically same ski and its by no means a chop/big water hull........but on the rivers,lakes,ponds,bayous and such it is a real fun ride with lots of attitude and power....

+1
    Yeah I live minutes away from Dunedin causeway/honeymoon island. Mostly going to be riding in the intercostal, 3 rooker, spoil islands, and the occasional ride to Clearwater beach to go to shepards.

How would the sho fair? I've read the bottom of their hulls are fairly similar and flat? Correct me if I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreak95 View Post
    Yeah I live minutes away from Dunedin causeway/honeymoon island. Mostly going to be riding in the intercostal, 3 rooker, spoil islands, and the occasional ride to Clearwater beach to go to shepards.

How would the sho fair? I've read the bottom of their hulls are fairly similar and flat? Correct me if I'm wrong?
    i dont know anything about the sho...this vxs is my first 4 stroke...i moved up from an older 2 stroke....

+1
    VXR is best performance non-induction machine on the market. If your a heavy ocean rider though the hull isn't the best for that. Cheaper on gas also.

Also keep your eyes open on some Kawasaki 300X's used. They really are the kings of the ocean. New leftover ones the dealers really slash the price on them....seen some in that 11K area quite often. Doesn't help the guy selling a two or three old used one. I know a few weeks ago someone was posting on here about 2011 300x with like 30hrs on it for $7500 in Florida that they where looking at.

+1
    Okay thanks for the quick replies fellas. I myself am new to 4 strokes.. Ive owned a few sit down and standup skis.. I love 2 stroke but kind of over the whole carb battle and oil/gas mixing lol.. My plans after i pay off a newer couch Im looking to get another standup in the future.. I dont think Im gonna be going to be too heavy of an ocean rider but at one time I handled the same waters with a 97 tigershark montego 660 that got the job done.. it was rough.. but fun. Now my friends own a brand new sho and a seadoo rxp 260x need something to keep up. Until I start a new career new isnt an option. Just finished up college so lookin to stay in the 7k or below range

+1
    Okay thanks for the quick replies fellas. I myself am new to 4 strokes.. Ive owned a few sit down and standup skis.. I love 2 stroke but kind of over the whole carb battle and oil/gas mixing lol.. My plans after i pay off a newer couch Im looking to get another standup in the future.. I dont think Im gonna be going to be too heavy of an ocean rider but at one time I handled the same waters with a 97 tigershark montego 660 that got the job done.. it was rough.. but fun. Now my friends own a brand new sho and a seadoo rxp 260x need something to keep up. Until I start a new career new isnt an option. Just finished up college so lookin to stay in the 7k or below range
    Just get the vxr, I love it in the chop with the aquavein grate and Jims ride plate.

+1
    Going from your old skis, the vxr will feel smooth even in chop. Before I got my current skis, I had a wave venture. I rode a vx and couldn't believe how much smoother it rode in the ocean. After that, I got the fx for my wife and I kept torturing myself on the old one for about a year before getting my FZR. You won't be disappointed with the vxr.

+1
    Thats what I figured the hull sizes on the 4 strokes are monsters compared to the skis I used to own. I was interested in a cruiser or HO but they seem more like a ski for a middle aged adult or older looking to not get wet. I like the vxr as it looks sporty and has the 1.8, but something about the sho or fzr just looks like im gonna regret my decision if I buy the vxr.. WIsh I started this search 2 months ago before it got warm haha

+1
    Thats what I figured the hull sizes on the 4 strokes are monsters compared to the skis I used to own. I was interested in a cruiser or HO but they seem more like a ski for a middle aged adult or older looking to not get wet. I like the vxr as it looks sporty and has the 1.8, but something about the sho or fzr just looks like im gonna regret my decision if I buy the vxr.. WIsh I started this search 2 months ago before it got warm haha
    I don't think you will regret it. Issue free and will keep up with the forced induction ski's. Put the Grate, plate, and an ecu if you wanted and you will most likely beat them in a long run as long as they aren't modded.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information