Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1996 GTX ENGINE IS TOAST help with game plan

well gave 100 bucks for a 1996 gtx with trailer. motor is toast pulled the rave valve and you can see whats left of the piston. the only other thing i can see wrong with the ski is the center gauge needs replaced its hazed badly. ski survived the test ride to boot.

just trying to get a game plan on rebuild.

obviously pull it out completely and see what im dealing with. Possible crank obviously pistons and cylinder and head.

just wondering if any little mods i can do to do to help reliability. am converting to premix.

any threads the document a rebuild on a 787? have my manual but is nice to cruise others process.

really dont wanna do any internal mods. probably only do flame arrestors maybe shave the head alittle bit. do a ride plate and impeller

+1
    Save time, money and headache... buy a remanufactured motor. Skip the premix... it TAKES AWAY from reliability. Seadoo oil injection systems work flawlessly and failures are rare.
    BTW... mods on a 96 gtx are going to get you gains that are so small they aren't worth it... head shaving, and flame arrestors only give significant gains IF you also do a better pipe and constantly run race gas... and after you do all of that your reliability goes to hell in a hand basket. After you get it running on 100 octane every time the weather changes you have to make carb adjustments.

+1
    yep just do an SBT motor, change the grey fuel lines and rebuild the carbs be sure to check your fuel on off as well and clean it out.

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    Save time, money and headache... buy a remanufactured motor. Skip the premix... it TAKES AWAY from reliability. Seadoo oil injection systems work flawlessly and failures are rare.
    BTW... mods on a 96 gtx are going to get you gains that are so small they aren't worth it... head shaving, and flame arrestors only give significant gains IF you also do a better pipe and constantly run race gas... and after you do all of that your reliability goes to hell in a hand basket. After you get it running on 100 octane every time the weather changes you have to make carb adjustments.
    What?????????? Pre mix takes away from reliability?????? Never in my life have I heard any such mess as that. Please explain

SBT actually RECOMMENDS pre mix in their installation guide

Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post

This whole quote is incorrect ask me how I know !!!!! You should leave the advice to people who actually know what their talking about

Sorry I've personally had a failure of seadoos. Oil injection garbage. I'll keep my pre mix.

As far as the set motor I thought about it. But I rather do

Banned User
    +1
    Oil injection is good as long as you maintain the system. Oil lines fail from age. Pumps dont fail.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Ok here's my 2 cents,Stay away from SBT Cheap junk imo,Keep the oil pump and replace the plastic insert the pump rides on and the lines.taking off the pump and using pre mix is fine but you still need the oil tank and case lines any way for the rotory shaft.Use either seadoo pistons or wiesco,pro X is fine also.Seadoo crank or a aftermarket like hot rods,run of the mill rebuilts are mostly junk.Oh and dont forget to rebuild the rotory shaft,the springs lose their strength and eat up the brass gear.

Trash all the grey fuel lines and clean the whole fuel system,carbs,fuel valve,tank and filter.mods for a 787 are out there but in a larger boat like that might not be worth the little gain you get for the money.Then go ride and have fun.

12. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ACA1996XP View Post
    SBT actually RECOMMENDS pre mix in their installation guide

Im sure SBT recommends premix to lessen their exposure to warranty claims from people messing up the oil injection when they reinstall it. You have to prime the lines and bleed the pump.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information