Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

310 Stock Top Speed Issue

From the sounds of it some of the 310's are having top speed issues(mine was one). It sounds like it has something to do with the Mapping in the ECU(not 100% sure what that is). Once the ski hits top speed of (66-67 MPH) and max RPM it would lose power and kick it back down to (61-62 MPH) with a max RPM of 7100. I tested this for a few hours and it never failed, once I hit top speed and RPM I would continue to lose power. My ECU is now flashed so I no longer need to worry about this, but I figured I would bring it up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo310R View Post
    From the sounds of it some of the 310's are having top speed issues(mine was one). It sounds like it has something to do with the Mapping in the ECU(not 100% sure what that is). Once the ski hits top speed of (66-67 MPH) and max RPM it would lose power and kick it back down to (61-62 MPH) with a max RPM of 7100. I tested this for a few hours and it never failed, once I hit top speed and RPM I would continue to lose power. My ECU is now flashed so I no longer need to worry about this, but I figured I would bring it up.

I think "mapping in the ECU" relates to when a ECU has an embedded GPS chipset, works similar to a planes black box. But I could be wrong

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    No gps mister. ....have you water tested reflash to verify its fixed ?

+1
    The boat does have an ECU problem. Very dissapointing performance. A fix is being tested but you will have to go thru dealer channels to receive the fix when it becomes available.

I have not tested the flash out as of yet. I am going out tomorrow to see how it runs. I talked to Glen at R&D and he said now that it is reflashed it should fix the ECU issue. I'll keep you posted on the results.

6. +1 by:

How come the guys who first got the 310 didn't report the top speed issue? There was even a race video between the 310 and 300x, no sign of shutdown there

+1
    Yep report back..
    Which ECU flash,R1 91oct ,R3 93-95 oct?

There is no issue with the 310. However, there is an "inconsistency" in some situations when the Ski reaches top speed / max RPM. Videos made in the open ocean are not a good indicator of top speed for ANY Ski. This is because it is very difficult to reach / maintain top speeds in the ocean due to sea state. Take a look at any Karu Jet or LB2CAT video . . . half the time the Skis are in the air.

The OP's observation of this inconsistency is generally accurate. And I believe the OEM is addressing it. JB

+1
    I personally needed to verify my own testing as well as get feedback from other users before I went off half cocked on the internet slamming Kawi for releasing a brand new boat (2014, 310R) with an ECU issue right off the floor. Ok, it's verified. If I had it to do over again, at this point I would not have bought a 310. Now I have to go to the trouble of reporting the issue to the dealer, I then waiting for Kawi to send a reflashed unit. How long will that take?
    Yes, I could spend the money to have R&D reflash my ECU but I should not have to go to that expense. You can use the old washer mod or put on an R&D ride plate & it will fool the ECU but that mod is not for everyone.
    I just got back from Florida racing AquaX where you can't change the ride plate so we raced with a 61-62 mph Ultra 310R. Not happy.

11. +1 by:

I feel ya Poppa Dawg. And yes if you are racing the Ski, it is a different story. Are there times when I want 100% top speed 100% of the time? The answer to that is yes, and frankly, that answer largely depends on who I am riding with . . . you know some of the people I ride with and they are not slow Rides.

But on my general recreational rides, with Girlfriend on the back or not, if the Ski is going 62 mph or 67 mph . . . not much difference there. With the 310 series, I think KAW tried to broaden their appeal to Groups other than just Racers. And that effort has been a success. But I think something's coming soon which will put the 310 at the top of the food chain where it belongs JB

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information