+1

GPS speed device

What GPS device are u guys using to record gps speed? I seen one that goes around your wrist which is convienent. Make? Model? Price? Going to be doing testing with mods soon and need something fairly accurate.

If you have iPhones, I use free Max Speed app and thats what Jerry use on his SVHO ski!

+1
    I downloaded it last night on my iPhone 4S and it seems a little slow. I will try it again out on the lake and see what kind of numbers I get.

+1
    gps essentials or max speed

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by VXRslayer21 View Post
    I downloaded it last night on my iPhone 4S and it seems a little slow. I will try it again out on the lake and see what kind of numbers I get.
    Slow? As in the speed accuracy is incorrect, or the rate the display updates with the current reading?

Any app that uses the built in GPS system in the iPhone is going to be getting the same raw speed data from the sensors. The apps simply process the data and create a display to show you. I do not think any app is going to be more accurate that another app.

That said, some apps may filter the speed data to exclude outliers. Any GPS system can produce momentary and inaccurate spikes in speed reading which self correct within a few seconds. So some apps simply wait when they see a spiked speed number until one or two more speed numbers come through, so the app can be sure the spiked numbers were real.

As with any GPS device, the more clear sky view in all directions and the less satellite signal blockage from your body, the more accurate and more frequent the GPS speed updates can be. This is why many GPS are clamped to the handlebar or mounted on the hood. Down in the glovebox or tucked against your body can reduce GPS accuracy as the satellite signals do not pass through your body or metal.

Heavy cloud cover and atmospheric moisture (rain, fog) can reduce the satellite signal strength thereby reducing speed accuracy and the rate of speed updates.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Slow? As in the speed accuracy is incorrect, or the rate the display updates with the current reading?

Any app that uses the built in GPS system in the iPhone is going to be getting the same raw speed data from the sensors. The apps simply process the data and create a display to show you. I do not think any app is going to be more accurate that another app.

That said, some apps may filter the speed data to exclude outliers. Any GPS system can produce momentary and inaccurate spikes in speed reading which self correct within a few seconds. So some apps simply wait when they see a spiked speed number until one or two more speed numbers come through, so the app can be sure the spiked numbers were real.

As with any GPS device, the more clear sky view in all directions and the less satellite signal blockage from your body, the more accurate and more frequent the GPS speed updates can be. This is why many GPS are clamped to the handlebar or mounted on the hood. Down in the glovebox or tucked against your body can reduce GPS accuracy as the satellite signals do not pass through your body or metal.

Heavy cloud cover and atmospheric moisture (rain, fog) can reduce the satellite signal strength thereby reducing speed accuracy and the rate of speed updates.
    Finally someone gets it! This is why a good gps app will allow you do exclude blips and filter by accuracy.

I use one of these

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%2...EX-10HZ-F.html

I also have one of these feeding my CMD. It is just fine for top speed logging but requires a CMD to read it.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=1513378

I have several hand held GPS units laying around but I don't really trust any of them.

The Motec and the VTech loggers are grabbing and correcting the stock Seadoo GPS. It all just depends on how much accuracy you are looking. The QStarz device is the best by far at acceleration testing

Andy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Finally someone gets it! This is why a good gps app will allow you do exclude blips and filter by accuracy.
    Accuracy... like this?

+1
    Haven't checked but has max speed been updated to allow it to still run/record speed even when iPhone is locked?

Thread Information