05 gp1300r overheating issue

2005 gp1300r that overheats after about 30-1hr and shut off, i can then start it back after it completely powers down and run it at full throttle for about 3 mins then it shuts off again. Also I notice that these bikes have 2 water pilots but on my boat water is only coming out of one. Can that be causing the problem why it is overheating?

I'm new to PWC so kinda need a little help

Thanks in advance.!

Quote Originally Posted by aka_dasher22 View Post
    2005 gp1300r that overheats after about 30-1hr and shut off, i can then start it back after it completely powers down and run it at full throttle for about 3 mins then it shuts off again. Also I notice that these bikes have 2 water pilots but on my boat water is only coming out of one. Can that be causing the problem why it is overheating?

Thanks in advance.!
    Does the dash give you an indication that it is overheating such as a "beep" and a symbol lite up?

Quote Originally Posted by chevyrocks3 View Post

Thanks in advance.!
    Does the dash give you an indication that it is overheating such as a "beep" and a symbol lite up?

yes it does then it loses power and shuts off

+1
    Sounds like you have a clog in one of the water lines. Try blowing them out with some compressed air.

Do you know if it still has the cat convertor in it or if a D plate has been installed? Check the wire coming fron the exhaust stinger near plug #3 and see if it has been disconnected. I am assuming it is still hooked up due to the sensor telling the display the engine is hot. Maybe the Cat Convertor is coming apart or stopped up and building up exhaust heat prior to it.

Wink

[QUOTE=aka_dasher22;2368643]
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyrocks3 View Post

Thanks in advance.!

yes it does then it loses power and shuts off[/QUOTE
    Also, remove the clamps and slide the outer boot where the u pipe connects to the stinger by number 1 spark plug and see if either inner clamps are broke underneath the outer boot. The inner clamps and boot prevent hot exhaust gas from entering the coolant side and vise versa. If one is broke hot gases may be causing the problem but my guess is cat con is stoped up and that is why u losing power cause exhaust gases cannot leave the motor quickly not allowing it to breathe.

sorry should have said that it does have the d plate and chip but i no longer use the chip because someone told me that my model boat didn't need it so i connected the factory sensor. also i cleared the next water pilot by blowing compress air in it.

+1
    You should pull the seat and check the engine to see how hot the engine is when it shuts down. if the engine is too hot to touch you have a cooling issue or worse a engine trying to seize. the rear sensor can also do some strange things if it is going bad and that could also be the problem. another thing you may have to do is put a resistor where the chip would go. the first thing is make sure the engine is not actually overheating.

ok so i ran ski with another one and after it started to act up i felt the exhaust and it was hot but not too hot to touch. i ran a gp800 at the same time and almost as hard and when i felt the exhaust on that one it felt the same as the 05 gp1300 exhaust. lie what i said i have a chip to by pass the sensor. should i take the factory sensor and test it with the chip?

today i went for a test ride with a 2.2ohm resistor connected to by pass cat temp sensor and everything went well rode for 2 hrs and no problems.. thanks for all the help

Thread Information