Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Don't make this incredibly stupid mistake!!!!!!!!

I know I am not the only one who has made this mistake....but maybe someone who doesn't know can learn from my mistake. Took the wife's and my ski out for some tuning, and got hers ready to go. (95 Venture 701) Jumped on my ski (96 Raider 760, just rebuilt). Fired it up, pulled away from the beach, opened the throttle, and it died. I had left the fuel selector switch to OFF. Fired it back up, and ran worse and worse. Got it back home, checked compression.....0 on mag, 148 on pto. When it leaned out under power it broke the piston, sent pieces of top ring into the head and piston crown and ruined the head. So don't make this stupid mistake! On a side note, I know SBT doesn't get a lot of love....but I ordered a cylinder exchange from them on Monday. Received it Wednesday. Checked ring end gap, piston clearance, etc, and I will have to say they have some damn fine machinists working there. Everything was dead on the money. Cylinders bored .5mm oversize, freshly painted, ports lined up, can't say enough about the job they did on this kit. I am impressed.

im waiting on top end kit for my sons gp760 right now...you got me thinking about deleting the fuel switch...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool69 View Post
    ...you got me thinking about deleting the fuel switch...
    The fuel valve is a safety item. It can prevent liquid fuel from flooding the engine if the fuel tank venting fails on a hot day and the fuel tank builds pressure, forcing fuel through the carbs while the engine is off. Potential fire or explosion hazard when the engine is later restarted.

On older watercraft the fuel tank pressure relief venting check valves can stick closed or get plugged, just from age. Can go undetected until one day ...

I have seen a few posts over the years from guys who discovered their engine was completely full of liquid gasoline, right up to the flame arrestor!

On the other side of the coin, old fuel selector valves can develop air leaks which can lean out the fuel feed to the engine. The fuel system is under suction between fuel tank and fuel pump, so air leaks at the fuel valve allow air bubbles into the fuel stream. This reduces fuel flow and fuel pressure into the carburetors, which is not a good thing.

Replacement new fuel selector valves are a good choice if the original valves are many years old. Some fuel valves can be rebuilt, some not.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Wow.....I'm getting ready to put in the water for the first time this season....I'll make sure I remember that....

Damn, I feel your pain. Get a label maker and put a "did you remember to turn on the fuel" decal on the dash.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Damn, I feel your pain. Get a label maker and put a "did you remember to turn on the fuel" decal on the dash.
    Haha, Good one

pilots check list....

# Fuel on CHECK
    # Life jacket CHECK
    # enough oil CHECK
    # Cold beer CHECK

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VdeKock View Post
    pilots check list....

# Drain Plug in?
    # Fuel on CHECK
    # Life jacket CHECK
    # enough oil CHECK

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by VdeKock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Haha, Good one

pilots check list....

# Fuel on CHECK
    # Life jacket CHECK
    # enough oil CHECK
    # Cold beer CHECK

Cold beer gets left at the dock for after the ride.....

+1
    This can cause a melt down? I always run my carbs dry after riding......by turning the selector to offf and letting it idle down. Should I not do this??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mybad View Post
    This can cause a melt down? I always run my carbs dry after riding......by turning the selector to offf and letting it idle down. Should I not do this??
    The OP was trying to accelerate, not at idle.

No way to really know for sure, but somehow I suspect the engine was already on the brink of mechanical failure and the fuel valve being turned off was somewhat coincidental, not causal.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information