Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What sealant for case

I'm putting a new crank on my 2000 yamaha xl1200 limited can anyone tell me what should I seal the two crank case haves with when I install the crank , I could see what looked like a red color sealant was present after I took it apart , any tips are welcome thanks .. I'm new to this site and iv read a lot of good stuff .thanks to all who contribute

+1
    3m 1211 or yamabond

Use it sparingly! They are machined matched case halves and people tend to put a huge thick bead on the mating surface and all it does is ooze into the cases. Very thin film is all that is needed!

4. +1 by:

Casey2552,
    Minor correction: The correct branding is "Three Bond" 1211. The stuff ain't cheap but it works perfectly. Here's a link to a store selling it for 20 bucks plus shipping. Do not use "silicone" gasket maker or some other substitution as the fuel and oil will break it down over time. Yamabond is fine, too and just as expensive. Good luck with your project. Be sure to pressure test (not compression testing) your engine before attaching the carbs. See the how to section for pressure testing. This is very important. There is a great thread on assembly in the How To FAQ section. Here's a link for that, too. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144536

http://leclarepowersports.com/prodde...prod=1211AT100

+1
    1211 is the only think that should be used to seal cases and reed cages. ive had leaks with everything else.

Thanks a lot I could not find three bond locally , so I got yamabond bit I am I desperate need of an owners manual for this ski for little things if anyone can send a PDF or tell me how I can obtain one free would be great , I've just replaced oil lines with tygon 1/8 I.d. Lines and zipped twice and put a drop of super glue for oily areas and then cross zipped them I do not think they are coming off lol least I hop not next time I will go to premix I know I should of now but really want the convenience oh yeah and I got the tygon lines at sells equipment in wood haven mi, for anyone in the area thanks so much for everyone here with a site like this who need a mechanic

My ski is 2000 Yamaha xl1200 limited please send me a owner manual someone thanks

+1
    Did you replace fuel lines also?If not, I'd recommend.Do not use ethanol tainted fuel if possible.I believe it will degrade the Tygon lines if used for fuellines(not the oil lines).Did you rebuild carbs?Read here, most problems start with the carbs or oil lines falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by dockwalker View Post
    Did you replace fuel lines also?If not, I'd recommend.Do not use ethanol tainted fuel if possible.I believe it will degrade the Tygon lines if used for fuellines(not the oil lines).Did you rebuild carbs?Read here, most problems start with the carbs or oil lines falling off.

I did did not rebuild the carbs , if they are in need of rebuild will it just run bad , lean on fuel will be noticed quickly with out causing damage I was thinking ,if they have some sort of problem it will still get oil won't it

I know I should rebuild them but was hoping they will get through till winter , my financial budget is small just trying to get it goin and hope she runs till end of august I will only run her maybe 20 hours this summer so just hoping to use till then

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information