Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1

Spark Pump Grease PLEASE READ

Guys, aparently the new Sparks only have enough grease on the pump bearings to last you just a few hours.

We took delivery of our spark and while installing the reverse I thought well let me just check things out on the pump.

To my astonishment the factory seems to be installing the bearings, pre packed with just a little bit of grease.

The pump bearing set up is similar to the previous models of skis,(so you can get an idea)

When I removed the pump cone it was literally clean and the bearing inside the pump showed just a smear of white grease.

I always halfway filled all of the pumps of my previous skis with gear oil, or as I recently read some racer was adding transmission oil. And I have added transmission oil in the past to my RXPX and now the spark.

Please note that there is no speed gains on this mod, its just going to improve the lubrication of that almost $100 dollar pump bearing.

I have serviced pumps in the past and even on my own skis, with hours that the grease that came from factory that was injected to the pump cone, never made it to the bearing, and I seen that on many skis, with many hours.

Hopefully this thread will save you from having to replace the bearing prematurely on your spark.

P.S. The forum wont let me upload pictures.....it keeps saying upload error.

Thanks
    Chris.

How much time to get to the pump and do this?

+1
    Mine was fine ...

If someone of you guys found something similar post pictures please so we can send them to the manufacturer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    How much time to get to the pump and do this?
    There is 3 bolts on the pump to transom. 4 bolts, from venturi to pump. 3 allen head holding the cone to the pump.

Did a lot of people have this problem?

+1
    I had a 2002 GTX, 2003 GTX Supercharged and 2008 RXT-X supercharged and they ALL have pump grease and they were ALL fine when I checked them! The Pump Grease is a Marked Improvement over the 90 weight synthetic gear oil of the old 2 strokes in respect to maintenance and dependability!

+1
    Other have posted this same issue and probably few have checked. What type of grease it this? Can someone please post the type or part number. I'll buy a tube to be safe. Eventually il needed it if not now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I had a 2002 GTX, 2003 GTX Supercharged and 2008 RXT-X supercharged and they ALL have pump grease and they were ALL fine when I checked them! The Pump Grease is a Marked Improvement over the 90 weight synthetic gear oil of the old 2 strokes in respect to maintenance and dependability!
    I seen the totally opposite, the grease never makes it to the bearings. Unless the pump overheats and softens the OEM grease seadoo puts on their skis. I had a pump bearing failure at about 80 hrs on an RXP and when I removed the cone the grease was still intact inside the cone, still had its swirl marks from initial application.

I have worked on many skis, I do that on the side, mostly seadoo. I always seen the same thing with that grease almost never making it to the bearing. We add Mobil 1 gear oil to the pumps, always allowing an air pocket for oil expansion.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I seen the totally opposite, the grease never makes it to the bearings. Unless the pump overheats and softens the OEM grease seadoo puts on their skis. I had a pump bearing failure at about 80 hrs on an RXP and when I removed the cone the grease was still intact inside the cone, still had its swirl marks from initial application.

I have worked on many skis, I do that on the side, mostly seadoo. I always seen the same thing with that grease almost never making it to the bearing. We add Mobil 1 gear oil to the pumps, always allowing an air pocket for oil expansion.
    ??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information