Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

polaris slt 750 pump alignment and shims

I had a vibration, and driveshaft splines and impeller splines go bad. The carrier also started leaking. I ordered a new carrier and go a used driveshaft and impeller. When I put in the driveshaft, I noticed it didn't line up just right. It looks like the motor needs to come up in the back about an 1/2". I made a make shift tool to check the alignment. It should be close to the green marks. I am either going to get a tool made or buy a used tool. What about shims? Is it best to buy them or get washers? Seems like washers would be hard since it doesn't just slide in. I tried to watch the videos from Polaris knowledge but my computer wouldn't open them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alignment.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	492.9 KB 
ID:	328400

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Try using a different computer.

What are you using as reference to determine alignment? The jet pump is not aligned to the engine. The engine is aligned to the jet pump. The through-hull sleeve and bearing carrier merely rides on the drive shaft, but the hull sleeve does not define the alignment. The jet pump alone defines the alignment.

Then shims are just thin stainless steel plates or tough plastic discs. When you get the alignment tool often the same person knows where to get shims, or even includes some with the tool.

k447,
    Thanks, my carrier was leaking and my slt 750 had a vibration. When I took off the driveshaft, the splines that went into the impeller and the impeller splines were worn down on one side, making them almost sharp on one side of each spline. I got a new carrier, and bought a used driveshaft and impeller.
    1. I checked the motor mounts. They look good, but do move just a little when I rock the motor. Maybe a 1/4".
    2. When I tried to restall the pump, the driveshaft was not going thru the middle of the opening. so, I tried to go the opposite way and use the driveshaft in the motor. I see what you mean, I have to check from the pump to the motor. Is there anywhere to rent this tool?

***Looks like my pump is a little low and my motor is low to match but my carrier is straight, so it pushes it down a little. yesterday I put silicone on it thinking it would help the seal, but it kept popping off when I would tighten down the clamp.
    Thanks Jason
    Last edited by jasonmd13; 05-05-2014 at 08:31 PM.

+1
    Clean all of the silicone off and use brake cleaner or a good solvent. Silicone is a lubricant, I went thru the same thing.

Is there a thread on how to replace the wear ring??? Like a dummy, I broke the bolt off in the wear ring, getting ready for the alignment tool. Then accidentally drill crooked trying to get it out. Now time to replace it. I didn't see how to replace it in the Polaris knowledge. Any how to instructions anywhere???

+1
    Remove the 4 nuts on the inside of the ski opposite of the wear ring. There are studs attached to the wear ring that are bolted through the hull utilizing lock nuts and thick washers. Once these are free, you should be able to knock it loose from the inside by hitting the studs with a hammer. Don't forget to disconnect the water pickup tube and siphon tube(s) as equipped....

If it doesn't come free, you will need to remove your ride plate and get at it with a pry bar from the outside.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmd13 View Post
    Is there anywhere to rent this tool?

John Zigler rents alignment tools

Thanks,
    i bought a used tool and used wear ring. Both are on the way. I hope smooth sailing from here. I have to order the pump build kit.

What is the best place to buy the pump kit? Is it easy to build? Gun shy after I messed up the wear ring

Would you order alignment shims or just get washers??? Also, would you cut them to slide in? The polaris shims make you raise the motor and put over the motor mount. Seems hard

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information