SPX Exhaust soot

Hi, everyone. I finally got the chance to ride my '97 SPX yesterday. It was the first time I've ever ridden it and I must say, what a blast! It felt just as powerful as my buddies Ultra 150 but more nimble. It felt like it ran perfectly all day. That said, I am a little concerned.

I had it beached for about an hour and I noticed that there was soot coming from the exhaust floating onto the beach. It didn't seem like fuel or oil (no oil slick), just dirty exhaust soot. Should, I be concerned about this? It ran fine after sitting with no issues.

A little background, I bought it last September without riding it as it wasn't really possible at the time. The owner said the carbs had been rebuilt and compression was good. I haven't checked compression but after the ride yesterday, it felt very strong. When I got it, the owner said he had ridden it the weekend before after the carb rebuild. Not sure for how long. There was about 2/3 of a tank of fuel in it and the oil was green. Before taking it out yesterday, I topped off the fuel and oil but I used the recommended red Sea Doo oil. I had also added some Stabil before I put it away for the winter. I didn't run the fuel out of it yesterday but I'm wondering if that's the issue or if I should be more concerned about something else going on with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    You should not mix oil like that. Replace it all with one kind next time. If the ski has old gas in it that should be drained and fresh put in it. I drain mine every season. Except enough to keep the carbs wet. As for your sludge issue I can't say for certain but a little oily mix is normal. Now if there is a lot you may have some leaky crank seals...does it smoke a lot of white when running? A little is ok but not a cloud.

When I first ran it, it was pretty smokey but after it ran for awhile, the smoke stopped or was at least very minimal. I did not know I couldn't mix oils, thanks for the tip. Should I draw it and refill befor I run it again? I don't really have a place to do that for awhile since we just sold our house and are staying with family until we buy a new place in Houston. If there were leaky seals, would it see an oil film in the water after I ran it? I never saw an oil film, just exhaust crud.

Thread Information